bosArt
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

bosArt » Critiques, Discussions & Reviews » Other Content » Shoe Loss in Cartoons, Games, Movies, and Comics MegaThread » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (118): « first ... « previous 32 33 [34] 35 36 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Shoe Loss in Cartoons, Games, Movies, and Comics MegaThread 17 Votes - Average Rating: 9.7617 Votes - Average Rating: 9.7617 Votes - Average Rating: 9.7617 Votes - Average Rating: 9.7617 Votes - Average Rating: 9.76
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Steven Of Alabasta Steven Of Alabasta is a male

images/avatars/avatar-35.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2012

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yotsuba&! Chapter 63 Page 20

Yotsuba&! Chapter 63 Page 21

These two are part of a chapter of Yotsuba&!, which has the same creator as Azumanga Daioh.

Yotsuba and Koiwai are playing a game on a swing that involves kicking off one of their shoes as far as they can.

One user even compared it to Osaka's weather prediction, only their shoes didn't land on a passing truck.
11-02-2012 08:17 Steven Of Alabasta is offline Send an Email to Steven Of Alabasta Search for Posts by Steven Of Alabasta Add Steven Of Alabasta to your Buddy List
Mandrake Mandrake is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-36.jpg

Registration Date: 03-03-2010

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Nopperabo
From my collection, a Peanuts panel (around 1967)

I have always been fond of this one for several reasons 1. It is a shoe loss in saddle shoes (which, as I have mentioned are fairly rare) and 2. It is one of the few cases I have seen of Charile Brown actually getting his revenge on Lucy. This copy is from a book collection; I am still looking for a copy from an actual period newspaper to add to my collection. I want that because, given the number of panels, this is very clearly a Sunday comic, and so, If I can find it in a newspaper, it will actually be in color. The panel has been published in several of the books (there's a full page version in The Peanuts Treasury and logically it must be somewhere in one of the volumes of The Complete Peanuts but neither of them have it in color. I suppose I could photocopy a version and color it myself, but I stink at coloring inside the lines, and it just wouldn't be the same

Nice find. Even when I was a little kid I always wanted to see Lucy lose her shoe. I always imagined her blue socks to be those thin nylon frilly lace socks girls often wore. Sorry I haven't been on lately, the hurricane took me off the grid for several days.
11-03-2012 02:45 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
Sonic52
Forum Ace

images/avatars/avatar-43.jpg

Registration Date: 07-29-2012

somethings I found in the internet some arent as good but oh well

Sonic52 has attached these images (downsized versions):
n_a (1).jpg n_a (2).jpg n_a (3).jpg
n_a (4).jpg n_a.jpg

11-03-2012 07:28 Sonic52 is offline Send an Email to Sonic52 Search for Posts by Sonic52 Add Sonic52 to your Buddy List
Powell
Triple Ace

images/avatars/avatar-33.jpg

Registration Date: 08-23-2012

Woman named Emilie Sudre dances with one high heel.
I only found Russian-language link to the video so far:
http://go2films.ru/video/dWlkPTEyNjQzNjU...D0xNjI2MzAwMDg=
But it shouldn't be a problem, just click play icon.

There are few photos of her dancing with one shoe as well:
https://www.google.ru/search?num=100&hl=...dEaKF4gTP-4GICg

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Powell: 11-03-2012 10:42.

11-03-2012 10:42 Powell is offline Send an Email to Powell Search for Posts by Powell Add Powell to your Buddy List
Nopperabo
Viking

images/avatars/avatar-31.jpg

Registration Date: 12-31-2011

quote:
Originally posted by Mandrake
quote:

I have always been fond of this one for several reasons 1. It is a shoe loss in saddle shoes (which, as I have mentioned are fairly rare) and 2. It is one of the few cases I have seen of Charile Brown actually getting his revenge on Lucy. This copy is from a book collection; I am still looking for a copy from an actual period newspaper to add to my collection. I want that because, given the number of panels, this is very clearly a Sunday comic, and so, If I can find it in a newspaper, it will actually be in color. The panel has been published in several of the books (there's a full page version in The Peanuts Treasury and logically it must be somewhere in one of the volumes of The Complete Peanuts but neither of them have it in color. I suppose I could photocopy a version and color it myself, but I stink at coloring inside the lines, and it just wouldn't be the same

Nice find. Even when I was a little kid I always wanted to see Lucy lose her shoe. I always imagined her blue socks to be those thin nylon frilly lace socks girls often wore. Sorry I haven't been on lately, the hurricane took me off the grid for several days.

I'd actually assume them to be cotton, we are talking about a character design that was largely finalized in the 1950's; back then, nylon socks would not have been made, or at least, would not have been made for little girls (nylons were after all a grownup thing) and as for frills, if they had them, we'd see them. Lucy (and indeed, most of the sock wearing characters) probably are wearing Bobby socks, which would have been perfectly orndinary back then (plus of course, from a traditional point of view, bobby socks and saddle shoes do sort of go together). It's not even 100% certain that, when and if I ever find the colored one, it will be blue. It probably will, but there are a few older strips, before Shultz codified the character appearances, where the characters wore colors other than there normal ones. Lucy was sometimes in red, and sometimes in yellow.
There are even a few cases of the characters wearing shoes other than thier "normal" ones (and I am not including those where the characters are wearing an out and out different set of clothes, like when the are dressing up) There is a famous strip (famous in that the final image (of snoopy shocking Lucy by kissing her nose) is a popular clip image) where Lucy is wearing Mary Janes (or what passes for Mary Janes in the Peaunts universe, see below) Sally has worn saddle shoes a few time (significant, given her in comic stated "white shoe" fetish). Even the cartoon series had a few (probably because most of the segments were taken directly from panels, and checking for consistency with the other strips was not always done). Lucy has plain white shoes in one at least, the stripes are missing as far as can be seen (she's sitting on the ground in that clip with the soles of her shoes towards the camera, but she does move them a few times enough to see bits of the sides, and there are no stripes) And there is one where her shoes have the squiggle of laces (like on Charlie Brown's shoes)
To my mind, the real shoe mystery in the Peaunuts universe involves some of the background characters, namely Linda (at least I think that's her name, green dress black hair in a bun) and Patty (not Peppermint Patty, the one in the orange plaid dress and hair ribbons with straight light brown hair) Both of these characters wear what appear to be Mary Janes. The odd thing comes into play with colored pictures. As you have already probably noticed, in the peanuts universe, everyone wears socks that are the same color as thier shirt/dress (or in Peppermint Patty's case, sandals the same color). Those two therfore shold have green and orange socks respectively and they do. The odd thing is, while the ankle portion of their socks are indeed colored in, the "gap" between the shoe strap and the rest of the shoe isn't, it remains white. And it isn't a "we forgot" thing Shultz actually would in the area in in white ink when he colored (Shultz colored in his own comics after a while, probably the same time the designs all got standardized). And they arent just socks with colored cuffs, the colored parts go all the way down to the start of the shoes, same as on everyone else. Maybe they arent Mary Janes, but two toned loafer like shoes. Incidentally if you are a cartoon fan, there is a similar issue with Mandy from The Grim Adventnures of Biilly and Mandy, in this case, white gap on the shoes despite the fact that (except in the pilot, where the animation is different) Mandy doesn't wear socks (and in fact, there is a brief scene in one eipsode ("Love is Evol spelled Backward", I think, the one with the Huggytime Bears) where mandy actually dangles one of her shoes, and it is obvios she has no sock on (so no "she's wearing those socks that don't go higher than the shoe line").
And somewhere I actually have a old Peanuts Quit that has one shoe pictures of Sally and Peppermint Patty as well, based on the Happines is.. books. Sally has one shoe on because she is putting them on (......learing how to tie your shoes by yourself." and Patty beacuse she is having a splinter removed.)
11-03-2012 13:31 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
hunter77721 hunter77721 is a male
Double Ace

images/avatars/avatar-54.jpg

Registration Date: 01-28-2012

I found it on DA:
http://reinosekai.deviantart.com/art/Liv...rella-316918090

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by hunter77721: 11-03-2012 20:45.

11-03-2012 20:43 hunter77721 is offline Send an Email to hunter77721 Search for Posts by hunter77721 Add hunter77721 to your Buddy List
Administrator

quote:
quote:
quote:

I'd actually assume them to be cotton, we are talking about a character design that was largely finalized in the 1950's; back then, nylon socks would not have been made, or at least, would not have been made for little girls (nylons were after all a grownup thing) and as for frills, if they had them, we'd see them. Lucy (and indeed, most of the sock wearing characters) probably are wearing Bobby socks, which would have been perfectly orndinary back then (plus of course, from a traditional point of view, bobby socks and saddle shoes do sort of go together). It's not even 100% certain that, when and if I ever find the colored one, it will be blue. It probably will, but there are a few older strips, before Shultz codified the character appearances, where the characters wore colors other than there normal ones. Lucy was sometimes in red, and sometimes in yellow.
There are even a few cases of the characters wearing shoes other than thier "normal" ones (and I am not including those where the characters are wearing an out and out different set of clothes, like when the are dressing up) There is a famous strip (famous in that the final image (of snoopy shocking Lucy by kissing her nose) is a popular clip image) where Lucy is wearing Mary Janes (or what passes for Mary Janes in the Peaunts universe, see below) Sally has worn saddle shoes a few time (significant, given her in comic stated "white shoe" fetish). Even the cartoon series had a few (probably because most of the segments were taken directly from panels, and checking for consistency with the other strips was not always done). Lucy has plain white shoes in one at least, the stripes are missing as far as can be seen (she's sitting on the ground in that clip with the soles of her shoes towards the camera, but she does move them a few times enough to see bits of the sides, and there are no stripes) And there is one where her shoes have the squiggle of laces (like on Charlie Brown's shoes)
To my mind, the real shoe mystery in the Peaunuts universe involves some of the background characters, namely Linda (at least I think that's her name, green dress black hair in a bun) and Patty (not Peppermint Patty, the one in the orange plaid dress and hair ribbons with straight light brown hair) Both of these characters wear what appear to be Mary Janes. The odd thing comes into play with colored pictures. As you have already probably noticed, in the peanuts universe, everyone wears socks that are the same color as thier shirt/dress (or in Peppermint Patty's case, sandals the same color). Those two therfore shold have green and orange socks respectively and they do. The odd thing is, while the ankle portion of their socks are indeed colored in, the "gap" between the shoe strap and the rest of the shoe isn't, it remains white. And it isn't a "we forgot" thing Shultz actually would in the area in in white ink when he colored (Shultz colored in his own comics after a while, probably the same time the designs all got standardized). And they arent just socks with colored cuffs, the colored parts go all the way down to the start of the shoes, same as on everyone else. Maybe they arent Mary Janes, but two toned loafer like shoes. Incidentally if you are a cartoon fan, there is a similar issue with Mandy from The Grim Adventnures of Biilly and Mandy, in this case, white gap on the shoes despite the fact that (except in the pilot, where the animation is different) Mandy doesn't wear socks (and in fact, there is a brief scene in one eipsode ("Love is Evol spelled Backward", I think, the one with the Huggytime Bears) where mandy actually dangles one of her shoes, and it is obvios she has no sock on (so no "she's wearing those socks that don't go higher than the shoe line").
And somewhere I actually have a old Peanuts Quit that has one shoe pictures of Sally and Peppermint Patty as well, based on the Happines is.. books. Sally has one shoe on because she is putting them on (......learing how to tie your shoes by yourself." and Patty beacuse she is having a splinter removed.)

Wow, very informative. Anyway, I think I actually confused bobby socks with the lace socks. Bobby socks were the thin socks that girls often folded over on top of each other right? That's what I imagined her wearing.
11-03-2012 22:39 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by hunter77721
I found it on DA:
http://reinosekai.deviantart.com/art/Liv...rella-316918090

This might belong in the male shoe loss thread, but that "guy" looks very female, so I'm not sure.
11-03-2012 22:40 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
Nopperabo
Viking

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Wow, very informative. Anyway, I think I actually confused bobby socks with the lace socks. Bobby socks were the thin socks that girls often folded over on top of each other right? That's what I imagined her wearing.

Yep, those are them, assuming that, by " folded over on top of each other" you mean that the folded over the tops to make a cuff.
When I get around to it, there is another few peanuts strips worth posting. There is a Christmans one where Lucy is putting on her mary janes (it's the Pagent show, and she is dressing up, so that doesn't really count as a "non standard costume" where there is one one shoe panel (in the middle) Actually that one may also give the answer to the "white patch" question as well, as it shows Shultz wasn't all that good at drawing Mary Janes (especially when , as in this comic, he had to draw them without feet in them) I also have one I found where Lucy gives charlier brown her shoes and socks during a baseball game (she decides that, as she is in the grass in the outfield she might as well go barefoot and tells Charile brown to look after her shoes and socks) This is only signifcant in that it proves that Lucy actually does wear Saddle shoes as opposed to striped sneakers (as one of the few times we see her shoes from an angle other than the side, it's the only time the black stripe on the back is visible) as opposed to the "Modern" Lucy (the one with the pink shirt and blue pants) who probably does wear sneakers on the grounds that Saddle shoes are no longer common childs footwear (outside of certain private schools who usually have to special order them) Actually the really modern one definitely wears sneakers, near the end of the comic, Shultz starded coloring in the white part of lucy's shoes brown.
11-03-2012 23:37 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
Administrator

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yep, those are them, assuming that, by " folded over on top of each other" you mean that the folded over the tops to make a cuff.
When I get around to it, there is another few peanuts strips worth posting. There is a Christmans one where Lucy is putting on her mary janes (it's the Pagent show, and she is dressing up, so that doesn't really count as a "non standard costume" where there is one one shoe panel (in the middle) Actually that one may also give the answer to the "white patch" question as well, as it shows Shultz wasn't all that good at drawing Mary Janes (especially when , as in this comic, he had to draw them without feet in them) I also have one I found where Lucy gives charlier brown her shoes and socks during a baseball game (she decides that, as she is in the grass in the outfield she might as well go barefoot and tells Charile brown to look after her shoes and socks) This is only signifcant in that it proves that Lucy actually does wear Saddle shoes as opposed to striped sneakers (as one of the few times we see her shoes from an angle other than the side, it's the only time the black stripe on the back is visible) as opposed to the "Modern" Lucy (the one with the pink shirt and blue pants) who probably does wear sneakers on the grounds that Saddle shoes are no longer common childs footwear (outside of certain private schools who usually have to special order them) Actually the really modern one definitely wears sneakers, near the end of the comic, Shultz starded coloring in the white part of lucy's shoes brown.

Okay, you seem to know a lot about this subject so I'll take your word for it.

But I always thought bobby socks were made of nylon or a similar sheer material, at least the old fashion 1940s and 1950s kind. They always looked very thin to me, and you could often see girls' toes through them. I didn't think cotton could be made that thin.
11-04-2012 03:49 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
Nopperabo
Viking

It all depends on how thin the thread is and how tight the weave is. If the thread is thin, and the weave tight cotton fabric can be incredibly thin and sheer. That's basically what "brushed cotton" is. And they've been able to make it that thin for a long time, probably since before when the stuff was so new to europe people thoght it came off sheep attached to stems in the ground (see Barometz or Vegetable Lamb of Tartary) Cotton is the substance, not the weave. Denim (aka the stuff your blue jeans are made of, is cotton, as is some modern canvas (though that can also be linen, and traditionally, hemp.) It's not all that different than, say wool. Tenchnically a Shetland sweater and a Casmere shawl are both made of wool (okay wool from different animals but you'll get me) even though one is so thin and fine you can pull it through a ring, and the other so bulky it would take up a box on it's own.
Nylon would have been out of the question. First of all for most of the 40's Nylon wasn't even AVAILABLE for general buying (it was all needed for the war effort, to make parachutes and such) And while it WAS available for the public in the 1950's, it was still fairly expensive. And of course, as i said, nylons were still considered a very "adult" thing back then, as much a mark of a girl being "grown up" as lipstick and high heels. To make kids socks out of it would have been considered as odd as someone today trying to sell a line of children's day to day shoes designed by Prada, Mahnolo Blanick, and Jimmy Choo (though for all I know, those exist as well). To our modern eyes, Lucy seems reall dressed up (let's face it, with it's puffed sleeves and bow in the back, Lucy's dress looks like something you would wear to a fancy party now) but back then, that would have been standard go to school clothing, and fairly ordinary.
11-04-2012 04:55 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
Nopperabo
Viking

Some more comic strip bits

From top Dennis the Menace, Brother Juniper, Maflada (spanish) Peanuts

Peanuts, For Better or Worse (note girl with Lucy in top left comic is the other Patty I mentioned

Outland (sucessor to Bloom County) Ripley's Belive it or Not, Broom Hilda

Assorted Old Magazine cartoons

And finally another Oz (French). Noable for again having silver "shoes" that are more along the lines of boots

I have a few more newpaper comics in my collection (for example I know I have a Family Circus strip) but can't remember exactly where.
11-04-2012 14:07 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
ko962 ko962 is a male
Triple Ace

images/avatars/avatar-29.jpg

Registration Date: 08-07-2012

I have a few newspaper clips I will find them and post them here.
11-04-2012 17:18 ko962 is offline Send an Email to ko962 Homepage of ko962 Search for Posts by ko962 Add ko962 to your Buddy List
Administrator

Thanks Nop! I remember reading some of these way back when.
11-04-2012 17:29 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
omega omega is a male
King

images/avatars/avatar-28.jpg

Registration Date: 11-05-2011

Thread Starter Thread Started by omega

Here's a pic of a female hero losing a boot.

http://mpgraphics.deviantart.com/gallery/?q=boot#/d5jzx0e

http://images.fastcompany.com/upload/inl...drapers-cut.jpg

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by omega: 11-05-2012 22:47.

11-05-2012 22:33 omega is offline Send an Email to omega Search for Posts by omega Add omega to your Buddy List
Powell
Triple Ace

images/avatars/avatar-33.jpg

Registration Date: 08-23-2012

quote:
Originally posted by omega
http://images.fastcompany.com/upload/inl...drapers-cut.jpg

There was some quesswork over the internet as of why she's only wearing one shoe.

11-06-2012 06:14 Powell is offline Send an Email to Powell Search for Posts by Powell Add Powell to your Buddy List
fantomaZ
Administrator

Registration Date: 03-02-2010

almost ...

spanish singer
11-06-2012 19:44 fantomaZ is offline Send an Email to fantomaZ Search for Posts by fantomaZ Add fantomaZ to your Buddy List
Nopperabo
Viking

Another one from my collection

This book actually has quite a lot of good material. The frame story of the book involves a girl who discovers that someone has accidentally taken one of her shoes from aoutside her apartment (and left one of thiers) and the events that result from her trying to contact the person to get her shoe back. There is only one other single shoe picture in the book (the frontspiece). However as it appears that neither girl has a second pair of shoes (or at least decides to wear one) there are a LOT of mismached shoe illustrations, for both of them
11-07-2012 13:35 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
potk potk is a male
Super Moderator/One-Shoe Guru

images/avatars/avatar-46.jpg

Registration Date: 04-05-2011

quote:
Another one from my collection

This book actually has quite a lot of good material. The frame story of the book involves a girl who discovers that someone has accidentally taken one of her shoes from aoutside her apartment (and left one of thiers) and the events that result from her trying to contact the person to get her shoe back. There is only one other single shoe picture in the book (the frontspiece). However as it appears that neither girl has a second pair of shoes (or at least decides to wear one) there are a LOT of mismached shoe illustrations, for both of them

I actually remember reading this a while ago; here's a scanlated version.

11-07-2012 15:46 potk is offline Send an Email to potk Homepage of potk Search for Posts by potk Add potk to your Buddy List
Nopperabo
Viking

That's actually only the first half of the story. The last chapter of the book is called "The Honest Princess" and it tells the story from the POV of the other girl (the one who took the shoe). And yes, I checked the site, and it isn't loaded there.
11-08-2012 12:17 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
Pages (118): « first ... « previous 32 33 [34] 35 36 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
bosArt » Critiques, Discussions & Reviews » Other Content » Shoe Loss in Cartoons, Games, Movies, and Comics MegaThread

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH