bosArt
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

bosArt » Critiques, Discussions & Reviews » Other Content » Shoe Loss in Cartoons, Games, Movies, and Comics MegaThread » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (117): « first ... « previous 50 51 [52] 53 54 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Shoe Loss in Cartoons, Games, Movies, and Comics MegaThread 17 Votes - Average Rating: 9.7617 Votes - Average Rating: 9.7617 Votes - Average Rating: 9.7617 Votes - Average Rating: 9.7617 Votes - Average Rating: 9.76
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
omega omega is a male
King

images/avatars/avatar-28.jpg

Registration Date: 11-05-2011

Thread Starter Thread Started by omega
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mandrake
Nice job, Omega!
quote:
Originally posted by potk
Really nice work there, omega. Smile

Thanks guys.I just made another deviation

Who would you like to see me draw next Daisy or Pauline?

The deviations I submitted right now and yesterday were the first sketches I've done in a long time. I realized that I need to practice drawing more female characters, clothing, footwear and feet.

I guess this is a result of me spending my time only drawing generic action heroes, villains, monsters and robots as a kid.
10-31-2013 15:52 omega is offline Send an Email to omega Search for Posts by omega Add omega to your Buddy List
potk potk is a male
Super Moderator/One-Shoe Guru

images/avatars/avatar-46.jpg

Registration Date: 04-05-2011

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'd say Pauline for more variety since she's not a princess.

10-31-2013 16:34 potk is offline Send an Email to potk Homepage of potk Search for Posts by potk Add potk to your Buddy List
Mandrake Mandrake is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-36.jpg

Registration Date: 03-03-2010

You're on a role, Omega. Keep it up and you'll get better. I love both of the pics but I already see a big improvement between your first and second pictures.
10-31-2013 20:51 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
omega omega is a male
King

Here's my attempt at Pauline

She was the hardest to draw since she has the least official artwork out of all the female characters from the Mario franchise. I hope she's in more games in the future.
11-01-2013 19:29 omega is offline Send an Email to omega Search for Posts by omega Add omega to your Buddy List
Nopperabo
Viking

images/avatars/avatar-31.jpg

Registration Date: 12-31-2011

quote:
Originally posted by Nopperabo
Another one from T.U.F.F. Puppy

"Dudley-do-Wrong"

After the T.U.F.F. team beats up Miss Petropolis, one of her black pumps is missing. Later at the very end of the cartoon we see her cutting a ribbon on the re-opened T.U.F.F. building and she still has a pump on one foot which is about the only part of her that isn't in a cast (nomally I don't count people in cases as being single shoe candidates, but since the cast she has on has toes, it probably does in this case.)

Another interesting note in one of the new episodes yesterday

In the segment "Bad Eggs" there is a bit near the end where Kitty is dressed as a baby, and is barefoot. While this is not really a shoe loss, one can note that the animators drew her feet much smaller and more human than they normally do (and I mean seriously human, they look like human feet in opaque hose). This is probably simply the result of a new animation staff no knowing Kitty's feet are in fact more or less the same size as Dudley's when she isn't wearing her boots, but you never know
11-04-2013 13:23 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
omega omega is a male
King

A nice new trope has been added but it's needs more examples.
11-05-2013 00:33 omega is offline Send an Email to omega Search for Posts by omega Add omega to your Buddy List
potk potk is a male

quote:
Originally posted by omega
A nice new trope has been added but it's needs more examples.
Interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being renamed or merged with the already-existing Clothing Damage trope, though.

11-05-2013 03:01 potk is offline Send an Email to potk Homepage of potk Search for Posts by potk Add potk to your Buddy List
Nopperabo
Viking

Most likely it will, especially since the creator says in the opening that the item of clothing lost does not necessarily have to be a shoe to count in his definition of the trope, and half the examples there already don't. Also I'm not sure the Geronimo Stilton example counts. I found a free stream of the episode, and it looks like the clue has to do with Geroniomo simply realize the woman has struggles by the marks left by her boots, she doesn't lose either of them. At least I think that's what he says. The only free stream I could find was in Russian, which I don't speak. Linking below in case Nigel shows up and feels like translating and confirming.http://video.meta.ua/5818151.video
11-05-2013 13:57 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
potk potk is a male

A couple of funny videos I found while randomly searching YouTube: A sticky floor prank (Two Brazilian, one Japanese) and a pedal-pumping animation.

11-07-2013 16:53 potk is offline Send an Email to potk Homepage of potk Search for Posts by potk Add potk to your Buddy List
Nopperabo
Viking

Two more WOZ clips (oddly both from the same account; two performances of the same version of the play?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shVqFRcDC-w (9:23)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRoohHPO4oI(8:30)
11-07-2013 18:58 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
Mandrake Mandrake is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-36.jpg

Registration Date: 03-03-2010

quote:
A couple of funny videos I found while randomly searching YouTube: A sticky floor prank (Two Brazilian, one Japanese) and a pedal-pumping animation.

LoL. They'd never get away with those pranks in the USA. Too many lawsuits.
11-08-2013 06:24 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
ko962 ko962 is a male
Triple Ace

images/avatars/avatar-29.jpg

Registration Date: 08-07-2012

Just found an interesting wallpaper
http://anime.desktopnexus.com/wallpaper/722663/
11-10-2013 15:41 ko962 is offline Send an Email to ko962 Homepage of ko962 Search for Posts by ko962 Add ko962 to your Buddy List
ko962 ko962 is a male
Triple Ace

Here is another cartoon and the link to the pic below.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/warren-...f-1226255902880

ko962 has attached this image (reduced version):
902861-brown.jpg

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ko962: 11-10-2013 16:09.

11-10-2013 16:08 ko962 is offline Send an Email to ko962 Homepage of ko962 Search for Posts by ko962 Add ko962 to your Buddy List
Nopperabo
Viking

Old one I remembered
The Nanny "Personal Business" (appx 3:36)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv16F1KwF98

Oddly, Fran makes a mistake here. As the girls black shoe has no strap, it is technically a skimmer, not a Mary Jane.)
11-19-2013 13:58 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
hunter77721 hunter77721 is a male
Double Ace

images/avatars/avatar-54.jpg

Registration Date: 01-28-2012

Hi, Nopperabo!

Could You explain me these names of differents types of shoes? I don't know them and sometimesit is difficuly to me to understand.

11-21-2013 16:39 hunter77721 is offline Send an Email to hunter77721 Search for Posts by hunter77721 Add hunter77721 to your Buddy List
potk potk is a male

quote:
Originally posted by hunter77721
Hi, Nopperabo!

Could You explain me these names of differents types of shoes? I don't know them and sometimesit is difficuly to me to understand.

This would actually make a good topic. I was chatting with someone the other day who didn't know the difference between a loafer and a moccasin, and I myself sometimes forget the difference between a pump and a heel (if there actually is a difference).

11-21-2013 16:45 potk is offline Send an Email to potk Homepage of potk Search for Posts by potk Add potk to your Buddy List
ko962 ko962 is a male
Triple Ace

quote:
[quote]Originally posted by hunter77721
Hi, Nopperabo!

This would actually make a good topic. I was chatting with someone the other day who didn't know the difference between a loafer and a moccasin, and I myself sometimes forget the difference between a pump and a heel (if there actually is a difference).[/quote

I often get mixed up myself with difference names for the same or similar type of shoe, it could be because we are from different parts of the world.
11-21-2013 20:38 ko962 is offline Send an Email to ko962 Homepage of ko962 Search for Posts by ko962 Add ko962 to your Buddy List
Powell
Triple Ace

images/avatars/avatar-33.jpg

Registration Date: 08-23-2012

In the Russian language there is no word for slingback.

11-21-2013 21:09 Powell is offline Send an Email to Powell Search for Posts by Powell Add Powell to your Buddy List
Nopperabo
Viking

Well, trying to differentiate EVERYTHING would be a little hard (after all there are hundreds of types of shoes in the world) but I can try and cover the ones I have mentioned so far, and update as things come up

In the US "mary jane" is a term for what one might think of as the standard old time girls shoe, the kind with a (usually single strap) that goes over the instep). The shoe on my avatar character (if you can see it) is a Mary Jane. to secure the shoe to the foot. While this style is extremely ancient (there are examples going back to the middle ages) the name comes from a character in the Buster Brown comic strip who wore this style, as did buster brown himself (they were orignally considered a unisex shoe style and even today there are places in the world where boys wearing them is not entierly unsual (techically they are REQUIRED for full formal dress for young boys say, a ringbearer at a formal wedding.)) the name is techically still trademarked (which is why I keep capitalizing it.) I was merely pointing out that the shoe the girl was wearing in the clip had no strap, so it was tecnically not a mary jane.

Saddle shoes are a type of oxford, which is a leather shoe with laces and a rounded toe (if the toe is more pointed, it becomes a wingtip) a saddle shoe differs from a standard oxford primarily in having an additional "saddle" of extra leather sown over the middle of the shoe (as well as a smaller piece sown over the seam in the back). This saddle can be the same color as the rest of the shoe but is usally a different one. Most commonly the base shoe is white and the saddle is black, brown or blue. This style existed since at least the 1920's but is most closely associated with the 1950's. being a popular school shoe at the time.
There is a similar type of shoe called a spectator that is sort of a "reverse" saddle shoe (though a pump with the same pattern is also called a spectator, where the addional added leather pieces are over the toe and back ,not the middle.
Technically loafers ARE considered a moccasin in the same way saddle shoes are considered oxfords (and tecnically mary janes are classified as sandals, since they use a strap to be secured. Though most people only use the word sandal to describe shoes that are all straps and have open toes, so by those standards Mary Janes would not count). If there is a difference now, it's probably that loafers tend to be stiffer and have a harder sole.
Similarly, pumps are a subset of heels. Tecnially any shoes that have a raised hell are heels (though used on its own, heels almost invariably means high heeled shoes. "pumps" is a little more ambiguos. Some people use it as a synonym for heels, and make it apply to all heeled shoes. Others are more restrictive and classify a pump as being a shoe (usually high heeled, but not neccecarily) which has NO securing devices (straps, laces etc.) and relys soley on tightness to keep it on the foot.
That's the best I can do for now. I suggest you simpy go on a seach engine, flip over to the image seach, put any terms you dont understand in, and then look at the pictures that come up. They should do a far better job of showing you the differences than my explanations ever could.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Nopperabo: 11-22-2013 04:22.

11-22-2013 04:20 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
ko962 ko962 is a male
Triple Ace

What a great explanation thanks for clearing that up, well sort of Ha Ha.

I live in the UK so what are commonly known as pumps in the US are called court shoes here but they are mainly high heels, quite often with a stiletto heel.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ko962: 11-22-2013 15:50.

11-22-2013 15:43 ko962 is offline Send an Email to ko962 Homepage of ko962 Search for Posts by ko962 Add ko962 to your Buddy List
Pages (117): « first ... « previous 50 51 [52] 53 54 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
bosArt » Critiques, Discussions & Reviews » Other Content » Shoe Loss in Cartoons, Games, Movies, and Comics MegaThread

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH