bosArt
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

bosArt » Critiques, Discussions & Reviews » Other Content » Shoe Loss in Cartoons, Games, Movies, and Comics MegaThread » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (118): « first ... « previous 40 41 [42] 43 44 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Shoe Loss in Cartoons, Games, Movies, and Comics MegaThread 17 Votes - Average Rating: 9.7617 Votes - Average Rating: 9.7617 Votes - Average Rating: 9.7617 Votes - Average Rating: 9.7617 Votes - Average Rating: 9.76
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
abzapthane
Double Ace

Registration Date: 06-07-2012

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by fantomaZ
high heel thrown in water

Not being fluent in Korean or Japanese, but I believe this is the exact same show as the Japanese one that was posted in the Asian thread not too long ago. Except in that one, the lead female was sitting on a bench at a school and not a park. And she only loses one shoe and not both.
02-20-2013 04:41 abzapthane is offline Send an Email to abzapthane Search for Posts by abzapthane Add abzapthane to your Buddy List
fantomaZ
Administrator

Registration Date: 03-02-2010

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by BatMad
quote:
Originally posted by fantomaZ
high heel thrown in water

BEST. SCENE. EVER.

I just love how overconfident she is for most of the episode and how that unexpected little revenge from him freaks her out. From heel goddess to foot cutie in a second... just wow.

Thank you!
BatMad

one of my favorites too for shoe loss only.

@abzapthane: you mean this scene -> IkemenDesuNe
it's japanese. so it might be the same script filmed in another country with different actors and locations. but sadly I don't speak korean either ...
02-21-2013 11:47 fantomaZ is offline Send an Email to fantomaZ Search for Posts by fantomaZ Add fantomaZ to your Buddy List
potk potk is a male
Super Moderator/One-Shoe Guru

images/avatars/avatar-46.jpg

Registration Date: 04-05-2011

Found this while searching the web: it's a animated movie in Japan called The Garden of Words. There are a good amount of foot scenes in this trailer, and the main character is supposedly a shoe maker, so expect even more when it comes out.

02-22-2013 02:11 potk is offline Send an Email to potk Homepage of potk Search for Posts by potk Add potk to your Buddy List
omega omega is a male
King

images/avatars/avatar-28.jpg

Registration Date: 11-05-2011

Thread Starter Thread Started by omega

In the third episode of the X-men anime Armor loses her shoe.

http://www.watchcartoononline.com/x-men-...-english-dubbed

6:08

I also think that there's a scene in the first episode Iron Man anime that implies a news reporter lost her shoe getting through a crowd.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by omega: 02-22-2013 14:58.

02-22-2013 14:57 omega is offline Send an Email to omega Search for Posts by omega Add omega to your Buddy List
potk potk is a male

quote:
Originally posted by omega

Time is wrong, it's 5:31.

02-22-2013 15:24 potk is offline Send an Email to potk Homepage of potk Search for Posts by potk Add potk to your Buddy List
omega omega is a male
King

images/avatars/avatar-28.jpg

Registration Date: 11-05-2011

Thread Starter Thread Started by omega

quote:
Originally posted by potk
quote:

Which video link are you talking about. I was talking about the first one I just checked again and it's the right time.
02-22-2013 15:35 omega is offline Send an Email to omega Search for Posts by omega Add omega to your Buddy List
potk potk is a male

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by potk
quote:

Which video link are you talking about. I was talking about the first one I just checked again and it's the right time.

Weird, the first two are broken, only the third one plays for me.

02-22-2013 15:37 potk is offline Send an Email to potk Homepage of potk Search for Posts by potk Add potk to your Buddy List
Nopperabo
Viking

images/avatars/avatar-31.jpg

Registration Date: 12-31-2011

Not a great single shoe clip, but as Mandrake is fond of sheer stockings this clip might be of interest (appx 2:53)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI8tCeooJAk
02-25-2013 17:13 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
Mandrake Mandrake is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-36.jpg

Registration Date: 03-03-2010

quote:
Originally posted by Nopperabo
Not a great single shoe clip, but as Mandrake is fond of sheer stockings this clip might be of interest (appx 2:53)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI8tCeooJAk

Lovely debooting! Thanks for posting this.
02-26-2013 00:59 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
abzapthane
Double Ace

Registration Date: 06-07-2012

Here are a couple of movie scenes that feature very unlikely shoe loss - hiking boots (Lara Croft style).

Arachnid:
Lead female character falls into a pit, when she gets pulled out, she's left in one boot and one white sock.

I can't find the English version, but after she loses her boot, one of the male characters fires their machine gun into the pit, then the male lead fishes it out - no damage to the boot, except for a "spider bite"

Funny thing is, they see the shadow of the spider after he pulls out the boot, but yet, they don't fire any more bullets into the pit? Anyway, crappy b-movie logic.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUDffi5nQ44?t=26m37s

Tremors:
Female lead gets trapped in a barbed wire fence. Kevin Bacon's character comes to save her by trying to untangle her. He rips off her boots and then tells her to take off her pants too.

She winds up running through the desert in her socks. She gets new clothes immediately in the next scene - so it's not an extended loss.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXx-aMqSyIc
02-27-2013 02:58 abzapthane is offline Send an Email to abzapthane Search for Posts by abzapthane Add abzapthane to your Buddy List
Administrator

the web-comic footloose is about a girl who's a master of "kung shoe" kicking her shoe off to fight enemies. The comic doesn't have as much feet as you would think (the artist tends to leave them off panel), but it's worth browsing through nonetheless. And some of the art is great:

http://www.footloosecomic.com/footloose/pages.php?page=451

Mandrake has attached this image (reduced version):
451.jpg

02-28-2013 13:08 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
Administrator

I've been busy writing text for the upcoming e-comic (which is incredible, by the way, great job fantomaz). But I had a chance to discover another great Dorothy scene from issue six of the Fables spin off "Cinderella: Fables are Forever". It's just too bad she's not wearing nylons. I was tempted to "nylonize" it like I did the other Wizard of Oz manga, but found it to be too difficult since it's in color and I don't have the tools (or the skill) to make it look natural. Maybe someone else more talented than me can take a crack at it. This is a comic to look out for. The Cinderella character tends to lose her shoe a lot, and sometimes kicks them off when she's fighting villains.

Mandrake has attached these images (downsized versions):
CinderellaFaF06-003.jpg CinderellaFaF06-004.jpg CinderellaFaF06-005.jpg
CinderellaFaF06-010.jpg CinderellaFaF06-022.jpg

03-07-2013 20:18 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
Administrator

More pages from the issue above. The last two are from Fables issue 72. As you can see, this Cinderella character is one to watch out for.

CinderellaFaF06-023.jpg CinderellaFaF06-024.jpg CinderellaFaF06-025.jpg
Fables72p06.jpg Fables72p07.jpg

03-07-2013 20:22 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
Administrator

Two more pics from issue 1 of another spinoff series: Cinderella: From Fabletown with Love. Again, it's just too bad she's not wearing nylons.

Cinderella_#001_001.jpg Cinderella_#001_002_003 smaller.jpg

03-07-2013 20:27 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
potk potk is a male

quote:
Originally posted by Mandrake
More pages from the issue above. The last two are from Fables issue 72. As you can see, this Cinderella character is one to watch out for.

I recognize those last two pictures from Droppedit's site.

EDIT:

quote:
Two more pics from issue 1 of another spinoff series: Cinderella: From Fabletown with Love. Again, it's just too bad she's not wearing nylons.

I've actually seen this one sitting in the Barnes and Noble near my house (which unfortunately closed down). There's only one other part where she takes off a pair of wooden clogs, but that's it.

03-07-2013 20:27 potk is offline Send an Email to potk Homepage of potk Search for Posts by potk Add potk to your Buddy List
Nopperabo
Viking

quote:
I was tempted to "nylonize" it like I did the other Wizard of Oz manga, but found it to be too difficult since it's in color and I don't have the tools (or the skill) to make it look natural.

Assuming that the "other oz manga" you are referring to is the Hutchison one (and I can't think of any other "Oz manga" readily available in English). There is an interesting "shoe scene" in that one (though not loss realted) for most of the comic Dorothy's silver shoes are medium heeled slip on pumps (which develop a seriosly elevated heel and pointed toe in the scene where the Wicked Witch of the West puts the one she stole on her foot. But if you look at the very first "shot" of Dorothy after she puts the silver shoes on you will notice that in that picture they are low heeled mary janes with very broad straps. My best guess is that is what Hutchision orginally designed them as then abandoned the idea possibly becuse he realized it was incompatible with his later plans (as I may have mentioned earlier, if the silver shoes have straps (or any other fastenings, like laces) the whole "trip out of the shoe" thing doesn't really work, as you couldn't without also damaging your ankle so badly as to be unable to walk.) But he forgot to correct it.
03-08-2013 14:08 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
Administrator

quote:
quote:
I was tempted to "nylonize" it like I did the other Wizard of Oz manga, but found it to be too difficult since it's in color and I don't have the tools (or the skill) to make it look natural.

Assuming that the "other oz manga" you are referring to is the Hutchison one (and I can't think of any other "Oz manga" readily available in English). There is an interesting "shoe scene" in that one (though not loss realted) for most of the comic Dorothy's silver shoes are medium heeled slip on pumps (which develop a seriosly elevated heel and pointed toe in the scene where the Wicked Witch of the West puts the one she stole on her foot. But if you look at the very first "shot" of Dorothy after she puts the silver shoes on you will notice that in that picture they are low heeled mary janes with very broad straps. My best guess is that is what Hutchision orginally designed them as then abandoned the idea possibly becuse he realized it was incompatible with his later plans (as I may have mentioned earlier, if the silver shoes have straps (or any other fastenings, like laces) the whole "trip out of the shoe" thing doesn't really work, as you couldn't without also damaging your ankle so badly as to be unable to walk.) But he forgot to correct it.

I was referring the manga I posted earlier, the one where she wears those cowboy style boots that you told us about in this thread a few pages back. I'm not aware of this hutchinson one, however, but would like to see it.

edit:

Another Oz book worth checking out is "The Wonder City of Oz (1940) (John R. Neil)" This is the 34th book in the Oz series and the first by John R. Neil (who had taken over from Ruth Plumly Thompson, successor of Baum).

In the book, an "ozlection" takes place in which voters are encouraged to throw their "soles" into the matter, and use their "rights". This of course means that the people of Oz must vote with their right shoe. But in Chapter 13, the heelers come and try and "steal the vote" by sucking the right shoes off their feet. Nearly everyone has their right shoes sucked off, including the protagonist, Jenny Jump (who wear's heels and stockings, see pics). I've yet to find an illustrated version of this book (The text, at least, is public domain now), but I'm sure one exists since John R. Neil started off as an illustrator for L. Frank Baum's books, and later for Ruth Thompson. The two pictures of Jenny are his illustrations as far as I know. I'd like to find more though.

dcb2ae75381eafd8f4ab838f3cb029c5.jpg img_2575771.jpg

03-08-2013 15:29 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
Nopperabo
Viking

quote:
quote:
quote:

I was referring the manga I posted earlier, the one where she wears those cowboy style boots that you told us about in this thread a few pages back. I'm not aware of this hutchinson one, however, but would like to see it.

edit:

Another Oz book worth checking out is "The Wonder City of Oz (1940) (John R. Neil)" This is the 34th book in the Oz series and the first by John R. Neil (who had taken over from Ruth Plumly Thompson, successor of Baum).

In the book, an "ozlection" takes place in which voters are encouraged to throw their "soles" into the matter, and use their "rights". This of course means that the people of Oz must vote with their right shoe. But in Chapter 13, the heelers come and try and "steal the vote" by sucking the right shoes off their feet. Nearly everyone has their right shoes sucked off, including the protagonist, Jenny Jump (who where's heels and stockings, see pics). I've yet to find an illustrated version of this book (The text, at least, is public domain now), but I'm sure one exists since John R. Neil started off as an illustrator for L. Frank Baum's books, and later for Ruth Thompson. The two pictures of Jenny are his illustrations as far as I know. I'd like to find more though.

Yes that is Niell's work and yes the book is full of illustrations. Techically the IS a one shoe picture in the book (or at least one that should be) in that thirteenth chapter, since there is a double page illustration of Jenny alerting the firefly faries (which takes place after she is attaked by the Heeler) However it really isn't worth looking for; Niell's artistic style means that, because of the angle, both of Jenny's feet look absolutely identcal, and could be interpreted as shod or stockinged with equal basis. Theoretically, there might be more in other foreign illustrators versions, but the only foreign version I have ever seen is a Russian one, which didn't have any illstrations for that chapter. I suppose the best bet I to sit tight and hope that, after Shantower and Young finish adapting Baum's Oz books, they contiunue with Thompsons and so on to the end of the "Famous Forty" besides Wizard obviosly, there are shoe loss, removals in Ozma (which has already been done) Rinkitink and Magic, all of which, being in the Baum 14 will presumably be gotten to (Shantower and young are starting Emerald city in July, so rinkitink is about 5-6 books (and therfore about 4-5 years) away Addionally while the Niell version of Rinkitink has no shoe removal illustrations, the recent Japanese version does have one (maybe I scan and post it later.

There is also one other Niell show loss picture. In Handy Manny of Oz, when scraps collides with Manny, one of her wooden shoes flies off.
And you are in luck I just remember I scanned all of the relevant Hutchision illustrations some time previosly for another forum, and they were still in my Photobucket account.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Nopperabo: 03-10-2013 14:31.

03-08-2013 20:40 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
Administrator

Great finds, thanks Nopperabo. Do you get to see her foot completely out of the shoe in the Hutchinson books?

I'll have to check out those other Oz books you mentioned. I wasn't aware there was shoe loss in Ozma, Rinkitink and Magic. Can you give a brief description of those scenes and where they occur (and also if there's illustrations)? I vaguely remember one scene in Rinkitink, but never read the illustrated version.

As much as I love Shantower and Young's Oz series of comics, it's not really ideal for what we're looking for since you never really get to see her feet in the few shoe loss scenes they have (I've only seen the one part with the where the witch makes Dorothy trip out of her shoe, and the part where she loses them while flying over the desert). I'd like to see the original illustrations. The original Baum books are relatively easy to find with illustrations. But the later ones by Ruth Thompson and the authors that followed her are much harder to find. I don't even think the kindle versions come with the illustrations.
03-08-2013 21:32 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
Nopperabo
Viking

quote:
Great finds, thanks Nopperabo. Do you get to see her foot completely out of the shoe in the Hutchinson books?

I'll have to check out those other Oz books you mentioned. I wasn't aware there was shoe loss in Ozma, Rinkitink and Magic. Can you give a brief description of those scenes and where they occur (and also if there's illustrations)? I vaguely remember one scene in Rinkitink, but never read the illustrated version.

As much as I love Shantower and Young's Oz series of comics, it's not really ideal for what we're looking for since you never really get to see her feet in the few shoe loss scenes they have (I've only seen the one part with the where the witch makes Dorothy trip out of her shoe, and the part where she loses them while flying over the desert). I'd like to see the original illustrations. The original Baum books are relatively easy to find with illustrations. But the later ones by Ruth Thompson and the authors that followed her are much harder to find. I don't even think the kindle versions come with the illustrations.

No, that's as far as Hutchison goes. There is a full shoe loss in the Hutchison comics but it is much later, in Land of oz #4 when the Wogglebug is reciting his life story and you see when he steps off of the expansion screen (a girl falls out of a window as she faints, as when she does one of her Mary janes falls off.
The Ozma, Magic and Rinkia aren't shoe losses ther'e shoe removals. Dorothy takes off her shoes and socks to let her feed dry off after wading ashore in EV. This is the only one that there is a picture of and it shows Dorothy already barefoot with her shoes and socks lying on a rock next to her while Billina scratches in the sand (which amongst other things shows how bad Niell was a drawing shoes without feet in them, Dorothy's shoes look absoultely wrecked. The one in Magic is basically the same, only in this case it's Trot drying off her feet, while Capn' Bill secures the Kalidah they have just captured. in theory there could be be a second one. While she is trying to get herself unrooted from the magic island, Camp bill suggests Trot try and pull her feet out of her shoes (which doesn't work, as her socks and feet also are growing roots. But it does say she managages to untie them so in theory once the wizard's magic gets them off, her shoes should still be untied (incidentally despite the very vlear use of the word "untied: (or maybe "unlaced") Niell gave trot Mary Janes too in his illustration indicating he didn't always pay much attention to what Baum actuially said) Indeed they may very well be wrecked to the point of falling apart. The Rinkitink one is probably the one you are thinking of when Inga changes shoes with Zella so as to get back his old ones (with the pearls inside of them) As I said, there is no illustration of this by Niell, but the Japanese version that just came out has one.
Yes the loss in the Shatower Young wizard is very bad, Dorothy's feet are far too small to see anything. On the other hand the removal in their comic version of Ozma (it's in volume #1) is pretty decent, as they draw her feet much larger and you get a good few panels of her pulling off her Mary Janes, Including at least one middle one (i.e. one off one to go) the very cold newspaper comic adapataion has a midway one too, but finding copies of that (even in the book for that came out a few years ago) is a lot harder.
There's a reason why the later ones are so hard to find. As of this point in time, all of the Baum ones are old enough to have fallen into public domain (both book and illustrations), so anyone can publish copies. But a lot of the Thompson and later 40's (the two by Niell, the ones by Rachel Cosgrove Payes, the ones by Jack Snow etc.) are still copyright protected. Rielly and lee (who holds the copyright) has taken a rather odd postion, they won't authorize re printing the books themselves (since they don't see enough profit in them) but wont let anyone else do it either (since the books are their property) they did authorize kindle versions of some of them a while back, since doing those didnt really cost them much and the profits they would get made it worthwhile. But the illustrations are under seperate copyright; they reverted to Niell's estate, and the estate has little interest in permitting thier re-use.
The one bit of good news is that, given where you live, getting a copy of at least Wonder city with the illustrations (and probably some of the other) will be a bit easier than for most. Some years ago, the Niell estate gave Books of Wonder permission to publish a faithful reproduction of Wonder City for sale in thier stores. A bit later Del Rey allowed them to start priting oversized copies of their paperback versions (which lack the color plates, (well lack them in color) but tend to have everything else) of some of the Thompsons. So if there is ONE place you can count on finding them it's their stores, and one of thier two is in Manhattan (17th street betweeen 5th and 6th avenues) those paperbacks are rather expensive (I think they're around $16 apiece last time in was there, some time ago) but they are pretty much the only modern option.
03-08-2013 23:18 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
Pages (118): « first ... « previous 40 41 [42] 43 44 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
bosArt » Critiques, Discussions & Reviews » Other Content » Shoe Loss in Cartoons, Games, Movies, and Comics MegaThread

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH