bosArt
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

bosArt » Announcements » Announcing A Novel With A One Shoed Main Female Character » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Announcing A Novel With A One Shoed Main Female Character 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Powell
Triple Ace

images/avatars/avatar-33.jpg

Registration Date: 08-23-2012

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

On 20% of the novel now. My word: definitely worth reading. Smile

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Powell: 02-10-2014 17:20.

02-10-2014 17:20 Powell is offline Send an Email to Powell Search for Posts by Powell Add Powell to your Buddy List
grizzletoad1 grizzletoad1 is a male
Triple Ace

images/avatars/avatar-78.jpg

Registration Date: 08-21-2013

Thread Starter Thread Started by grizzletoad1
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Ko,

The novel will be available as a paperback shortly. I'm going to be receiving the proof to review and if it looks good, it will go into production. I'm looking at perhaps by the end of next week if all is well. I'd really like to see how you do Laura. This girl has been living in my head for the past 24 years now. In that time I've drawn several sketches of her. Most are lost to time and just drawing a better picture of her. I do have some in storage in my basement. My wife has always called her my fantasy chick! At least she has a sense of humor.

Nigel,

Glad you really like the book. You have the distinction of being my first sale! Thank you!
02-10-2014 21:19 grizzletoad1 is offline Send an Email to grizzletoad1 Homepage of grizzletoad1 Search for Posts by grizzletoad1 Add grizzletoad1 to your Buddy List
Powell
Triple Ace

Am I the first one? Incredible! You are very welcome!

I'm a mechanical engineer with an experience of working in the manufacturing industry, and I really like the setting. I just love all these greasy noisy heavy metal things. Your characters are real - gruff men with dry humour, many swear words, but sincere and very friendly if you convince them you're one of their kind. I met a lot of such people at the factories. I also enjoy the technical details.

The fact Laura applied the bandage to her foot a little bit spoiled it for me, but at the same time I realise that to leave her foot just bare at the rail yard would be unrealistic. Just maybe in the future edition you make her lose that bandage for good some time into the story?

Also, I enjoy your occasional dark humour. And that Russian word (won't mention, don't want to spoil it for the others) made me laugh... sorry, chuckle. Smile

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Powell: 02-10-2014 21:41.

02-10-2014 21:38 Powell is offline Send an Email to Powell Search for Posts by Powell Add Powell to your Buddy List
Triple Ace

Nigel,

Keep reading. I think you'll like what you come to as the story unfolds. But yes, you have to agree she had to put something on that foot. Otherwise, the whole subplot fails. And it IS just an ace bandage. Her toes are still completely exposed.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by grizzletoad1: 02-10-2014 23:00.

02-10-2014 22:59 grizzletoad1 is offline Send an Email to grizzletoad1 Homepage of grizzletoad1 Search for Posts by grizzletoad1 Add grizzletoad1 to your Buddy List
Triple Ace

Ko962

One more major feature I forgot to mention about Laura: Her eyes. They're a piercing crystal Blue. And of course the lips are the pouty kind. You know the look. I had a brilliant idea that I might want to put to you. I had this idea of making up a series of small promotional "posters" that I could put on my website. Each poster would depict a major character in the story, along with a tag line associated with it. Do you think you might want to tackle such a job? Remember, the pictures would have to be done to my specs and would need to be up loadable to a web page. What say you?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by grizzletoad1: 02-11-2014 21:34.

02-11-2014 21:33 grizzletoad1 is offline Send an Email to grizzletoad1 Homepage of grizzletoad1 Search for Posts by grizzletoad1 Add grizzletoad1 to your Buddy List
Powell
Triple Ace

I insert my five cents here. If we look at the promotional posters for the movies, the characters are often depicted in slightly different manner or situations than in actual scenes. For instance, the promotional posters for the Romancing the Stone showed Kathleen Turner (one of the most beautiful women ever born) losing her shoe completely - what never happens in the movie. So if I were John I'd order to draw Laura with one foot compeletely bare - no bangade. Wink

02-12-2014 05:45 Powell is offline Send an Email to Powell Search for Posts by Powell Add Powell to your Buddy List
Triple Ace

Well, like I said, the pics would need to be done to my specs. And the one I have in mine for Laura would be before she has the bandage applied! Unfortunately the other pics would be of the three main male characters, and a second female character who never loses her boots. And the fifth panel would be just a kind of mood shot similar to the cover of my novel. again, the details would have to be given in a PM or via E-Mail to Ko.
02-12-2014 22:48 grizzletoad1 is offline Send an Email to grizzletoad1 Homepage of grizzletoad1 Search for Posts by grizzletoad1 Add grizzletoad1 to your Buddy List
Powell
Triple Ace

Just finished reading The Railroad Man. Truly awesome book!
John did an amazing job amalgamating accurate technical setting with the very tense thriller.
A cliche - "I couldn't put it down"... But I really could not.
All I want now is more railroad-placed novels from this great author.
Smile

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Powell: 02-13-2014 22:11.

02-13-2014 22:10 Powell is offline Send an Email to Powell Search for Posts by Powell Add Powell to your Buddy List
Powell
Triple Ace

Posting this separately on purpose. Although one-shoe element is very fine in this novel, it's not this aspect that makes me speak so high of the book. It's the quality of the plot itself. Closer to the end of the novel, when chain of event went absolutely climatic, I caught myself constantly forgetting about Laura's one-shoed state. Well done, John!

02-13-2014 22:18 Powell is offline Send an Email to Powell Search for Posts by Powell Add Powell to your Buddy List
Triple Ace

Thanks, Nigel. Your praise speaks volumes. Now let's hope it can transcend into the general fiction crowd who don't care about one shoed heroines or trains at all.
02-14-2014 02:21 grizzletoad1 is offline Send an Email to grizzletoad1 Homepage of grizzletoad1 Search for Posts by grizzletoad1 Add grizzletoad1 to your Buddy List
ko962 ko962 is a male
Triple Ace

images/avatars/avatar-29.jpg

Registration Date: 08-07-2012

Here is a scene from the book, it is when she gets away from the bad guys and one of her shoes are pulled off by one of the guys as she escapes under the fence.

ko962 has attached this image (reduced version):
The Escape Fog.jpg

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ko962: 02-20-2014 18:09.

02-20-2014 18:08 ko962 is offline Send an Email to ko962 Homepage of ko962 Search for Posts by ko962 Add ko962 to your Buddy List
Powell
Triple Ace

That facial expression! Smile

02-20-2014 18:41 Powell is offline Send an Email to Powell Search for Posts by Powell Add Powell to your Buddy List
Mandrake Mandrake is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-36.jpg

Registration Date: 03-03-2010

nice work
02-22-2014 04:40 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
Triple Ace

Hey guys,

While I'm glad about the interest shown about my novel and the visualizations of the main female character, I'm wondering if any of you (Save for one, and you know who you are) have actually bought my novel on Kindle. well, here comes your chance. Starting midnight, February 28 until 11:59 PM on March 1, I'm going to be offering my novel on Kindle Direct for FREE. Yes free. So now there's no excuse to not get and read it. All I'm asking for is, if you do get and read it, and really like it like I know you guys will, please leave me a good review on Kindle. I need all the positive buzz I can get to promote this book in the wider "mainstream" thriller market. Thanks guys, and please like my Facebook page at The Railroad Man and visit my blog on my website at www.therailroadman.com

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by grizzletoad1: 02-23-2014 04:03.

02-23-2014 04:02 grizzletoad1 is offline Send an Email to grizzletoad1 Homepage of grizzletoad1 Search for Posts by grizzletoad1 Add grizzletoad1 to your Buddy List
Administrator

I don't have a kindle and I don't really have much time to read a novel right now. I'm already reading a book and I've got too many projects going on as it is (including starting a new job). But your book is on my to do list and I will definitely try to get to it in the future.
02-23-2014 08:13 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
Powell
Triple Ace

Not having a Kindle is no excuse, because you don't need one. Wink You may downlowad a free software version of Kindle and in will work on your PC just right.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Powell: 02-23-2014 09:26.

02-23-2014 09:25 Powell is offline Send an Email to Powell Search for Posts by Powell Add Powell to your Buddy List
Triple Ace

It should be made available as a soft cover through Create Space once I approve the final proof. It should be arriving here any day, so I'd say it'll be at least another week or so before the book hits the shelves at Amazon Create Space. I'll notify all when it is available. Oh yeah, Ko 962, nice work on the pic!

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by grizzletoad1: 02-25-2014 02:17.

02-25-2014 02:13 grizzletoad1 is offline Send an Email to grizzletoad1 Homepage of grizzletoad1 Search for Posts by grizzletoad1 Add grizzletoad1 to your Buddy List
fantomaZ
Administrator

Registration Date: 03-02-2010

@grizzletoad1: thanks. got it for free today. will read it as soon as I find some time ...

@Mandrake: congratulations on your new job
02-28-2014 15:49 fantomaZ is offline Send an Email to fantomaZ Search for Posts by fantomaZ Add fantomaZ to your Buddy List
Administrator

Hey thanks. It's a temporary job, but will pay the bills for awhile. I'm looking forward to your new comic fantomaz!
03-01-2014 07:49 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
Triple Ace

Guys,

My novel, The Railroad Man, is now finally available as a soft cover through Create Space! Just go to my website:

www.therailroadman.com

Click the link, buy, and enjoy. All I ask is that if you do buy, please leave a review on Kindle or Create Space (Whichever version you buy). Word of mouth is the greatest advertising one can ask for. Thanks, guys, and enjoy!
06-18-2014 02:46 grizzletoad1 is offline Send an Email to grizzletoad1 Homepage of grizzletoad1 Search for Posts by grizzletoad1 Add grizzletoad1 to your Buddy List
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
bosArt » Announcements » Announcing A Novel With A One Shoed Main Female Character

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH