bosArt
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

bosArt » Contributions » Art/Other Media » Dervland (working title for a planned comic) » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Dervland (working title for a planned comic)
Posts in this Thread Author Date
 Dervland (working title for a planned comic) Mandrake 05-14-2012 01:45
 RE: Dervland (working title for a planned comic) tealc176 05-14-2012 03:07
 RE: Dervland (working title for a planned comic) Mandrake 05-14-2012 05:03
 RE: Dervland (working title for a planned comic) Mandrake 08-26-2012 09:34
 RE: Dervland (working title for a planned comic) Mandrake 08-26-2012 19:17
 RE: Dervland (working title for a planned comic) tealc176 08-26-2012 23:04
 RE: Dervland (working title for a planned comic) Mandrake 08-26-2012 23:12
 RE: Dervland (working title for a planned comic) Mandrake 09-17-2012 04:50
 RE: Dervland (working title for a planned comic) omega 03-23-2013 14:16
 RE: Dervland (working title for a planned comic) potk 03-23-2013 14:21
 RE: Dervland (working title for a planned comic) Mandrake 03-24-2013 00:40
 RE: Dervland (working title for a planned comic) potk 03-24-2013 03:20
 RE: Dervland (working title for a planned comic) Mandrake 03-24-2013 04:41
 RE: Dervland (working title for a planned comic) tealc176 09-17-2012 05:57
 RE: Dervland (working title for a planned comic) Mandrake 09-17-2012 08:09
 RE: Dervland (working title for a planned comic) potk 09-17-2012 19:42
 RE: Dervland (working title for a planned comic) Mandrake 09-18-2012 00:16
 RE: Dervland (working title for a planned comic) potk 09-18-2012 00:22
 RE: Dervland (working title for a planned comic) Mandrake 09-18-2012 02:13
 RE: Dervland (working title for a planned comic) potk 09-18-2012 17:06
Next Page »

Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Mandrake Mandrake is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-36.jpg

Registration Date: 03-03-2010

Dervland (working title for a planned comic) Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

And now for something Completely different. A comic without panels.

I debated whether or not to post this scrap, but I wanted people to know what I've been up to lately. I've had this comic idea in my head for years now and actually started working with an artist on it a few months ago. It's a 20 issue story-arc that involves magic, witchcraft, strange lands, time travel, and living shoes with superpowers.

It's an idea that I first tried drawing into a comic myself, but I didn't like my art so I scrapped the idea. Later, I tried doing a live action photo comic with models, but it didn't really pan out as I couldn't afford the models or the special effects.

I finally did find an artist who was willing to do it, ~zeiram0034 is his deviantart handle. He's mainly known for his anthro characters, so I adjusted the story a bit to involve that as well. I had hoped that anthro stuff would bring in more interest as well. The overall outline is laid out in a chat we had, I'm debating whether or not to post it, because this comic still might happen and I don't want to spoil the whole plot (there's lots of twists and turns). But, unfortunately, I was unable to get the funding to commission him, and he has been rather busy lately, but has been kind enough to draw a few character sketches for me. (Like the ones of Angelica in my scrapbook).

I got tired of leaving it on the back burner for so long, so I decided to post it so some people can enjoy the text at least. And who knows maybe some people would be willing to commission artists to make it happen.

edit:

put all 3 panel by panel outlines in one document.

Attachment:
unknown Dervland panel by panel outline to first 3 issues.docx (25.32 KB, 828 downloads)

Mandrake has attached this image (reduced version):
angelica redesign WIP.jpg

05-14-2012 01:45 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
tealc176 tealc176 is a male
Forum Ace

images/avatars/avatar-38.jpg

Registration Date: 04-30-2012

Big Grin RE: Dervland (working title for a planned comic) Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i love the story so far let me know when more comes out.

05-14-2012 03:07 tealc176 is offline Send an Email to tealc176 Homepage of tealc176 Search for Posts by tealc176 Add tealc176 to your Buddy List
Administrator

Thread Starter Thread Started by Mandrake
RE: Dervland (working title for a planned comic) Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That's the thing, more probably won't come out. I was unable to get funding for this comic. I'm not closing the door on it, but unless I can get enough funding to commission artists, it won't continue. Still, I do have part of issue 3 outlined so I'll try and finish that and post that here later for you guys, but I doubt I'll go further with outlines until I can the actual comics drawn.
05-14-2012 05:03 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
Administrator

RE: Dervland (working title for a planned comic) Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I did finish the outline to issue 3. I don't think I'll do more outlines unless this comic actually comes to fruition.

Attachment:
unknown Dervland copy.docx (25 KB, 706 downloads)
08-26-2012 09:34 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
Administrator

Lots of new pics from this project posted in my scrapbook.

http://mandrakemoorglade.deviantart.com/...?catpath=scraps
08-26-2012 19:17 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
Forum Ace

really love to newest chapter keep up the good work! Big Grin

08-26-2012 23:04 tealc176 is offline Send an Email to tealc176 Homepage of tealc176 Search for Posts by tealc176 Add tealc176 to your Buddy List
Administrator

Thanks. We'll see what happens with this project.
08-26-2012 23:12 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
Administrator

Here's some more drawings ~Zeiram0034 made for me of Angelica, Katrina, Yumi, Tanya and Jasmine. He also did a Shion (from Xenosaga) debooting pic to test how well he can draw human feet.

09-17-2012 04:50 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
omega omega is a male
King

images/avatars/avatar-28.jpg

Registration Date: 11-05-2011

quote:
Originally posted by Mandrake

Is this just irony?

omega has attached this image (reduced version):
 You_don__t_beat_the_classics_by_ghostshi
nobi.jpg

03-23-2013 14:16 omega is offline Send an Email to omega Search for Posts by omega Add omega to your Buddy List
potk potk is a male
Super Moderator/One-Shoe Guru

images/avatars/avatar-46.jpg

Registration Date: 04-05-2011

...nah, I'd say it's more of a coincidence.

03-23-2013 14:21 potk is offline Send an Email to potk Homepage of potk Search for Posts by potk Add potk to your Buddy List
Administrator

A nice coincidence though.

Have you spoken to Zeiram lately, potk? I haven't seen him online in a long time.
03-24-2013 00:40 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
potk potk is a male

I've been chatting with him for the past month, actually. That's how I was actually able to get stuff done, though it helps I've been doing a 2D animated project for school.

...in fact just today we were talking and he asked me if I had come up with any neat ideas to deshoe Angelica, which I did, but one in particular really interested both him and me and I think it may inspire me to write a oneshot in the Dervland universe. Wink

My design of Angelica has actually been completely drafted (though not 100% finalized) ever since Tueday, but I need to draw it a couple more times untilI I can completely show it off to you. I have showed it to him though and he said he'd draw my outfit in his style just to try it out.

03-24-2013 03:20 potk is offline Send an Email to potk Homepage of potk Search for Posts by potk Add potk to your Buddy List
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by potk
I've been chatting with him for the past month, actually. That's how I was actually able to get stuff done, though it helps I've been doing a 2D animated project for school.

...in fact just today we were talking and he asked me if I had come up with any neat ideas to deshoe Angelica, which I did, but one in particular really interested both him and me and I think it may inspire me to write a oneshot in the Dervland universe. Wink

My design of Angelica has actually been completely drafted (though not 100% finalized) ever since Tueday, but I need to draw it a couple more times untilI I can completely show it off to you. I have showed it to him though and he said he'd draw my outfit in his style just to try it out.

I love both your styles, I can't wait to see what comes of it. I remember earlier you said you had ideas for my storyline. I'd like to hear them when you get the chance.
03-24-2013 04:41 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
Forum Ace

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

does this mean that a comic is not out of the question?

09-17-2012 05:57 tealc176 is offline Send an Email to tealc176 Homepage of tealc176 Search for Posts by tealc176 Add tealc176 to your Buddy List
Administrator

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It never was. Just unlikely at this point. These sketches were all done several months ago though.
09-17-2012 08:09 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
potk potk is a male

Now would be a good time to say that I've offered my services to Mandrake on helping get his comic off the ground, and I'm currently working on some sketches (among other things) of Angelica and some of my favourite parts of the first two chapters, but school has just started back up for me again and I'm still getting situated, meaning that these will have been put on the backburner for a while; this is also why I haven't been around in so long.

09-17-2012 19:42 potk is offline Send an Email to potk Homepage of potk Search for Posts by potk Add potk to your Buddy List
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by potk
Now would be a good time to say that I've offered my services to Mandrake on helping get his comic off the ground, and I'm currently working on some sketches (among other things) of Angelica and some of my favourite parts of the first two chapters, but school has just started back up for me again and I'm still getting situated, meaning that these will have been put on the backburner for a while; this is also why I haven't been around in so long.

Hey, cool, I know you said you had interest in it, but I didn't know you were actually working on it.
09-18-2012 00:16 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
potk potk is a male

Well, I haven't done anything yet; I didn't start sketching/drawing anything until around late-June/early-July, and it was just to see if I could draw Angelica the way that Zeiram did. I wasn't too happy with the way I drew her the first time, so I put my pencil down for a while and started doing other things, with getting ready for school being one of them.

I've just now gotten back to drawing stuff again, but haven't started on any Dervland stuff, although what I am drawing will definitely interest the people here. I hope that once you see what I've been doing that'll instill confidence in me, and when I think I'm ready to start, I'll give you another update. Hopefully that'll be really soon. Big Grin

09-18-2012 00:22 potk is offline Send an Email to potk Homepage of potk Search for Posts by potk Add potk to your Buddy List
Administrator

Yeah, he's a really good artist. I've tried drawing the characters myself too, but can't match his style or level of skill. I mentioned you to him, and he actually wanted to talk to you about working together with you on the project, because he's still interested in doing it, but can't bear the full workload. Perhaps the two of you can work as a team, maybe one as the penciler and the other as colorist, or maybe splitting up the work more evenly if your styles mesh. His DA page is:

http://zeiram0034.deviantart.com/
09-18-2012 02:13 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
potk potk is a male

quote:
Originally posted by Mandrake
Yeah, he's a really good artist. I've tried drawing the characters myself too, but can't match his style or level of skill. I mentioned you to him, and he actually wanted to talk to you about working together with you on the project, because he's still interested in doing it, but can't bear the full workload. Perhaps the two of you can work as a team, maybe one as the penciler and the other as colorist, or maybe splitting up the work more evenly if your styles mesh. His DA page is:

http://zeiram0034.deviantart.com/

Cool. I tried drawing Angelica again last night, matching Zeiram's art style (only from her chest up) and thought it looked pretty good, but I still need more practice, I think. My personal/preffered art style is a bit more simplistic and slender/rounder than his, so I think either we find a compromise, or I'll end up doing the majority of the drawing and her ends up inking/colouring it (which I'd actually prefer, since I have no way to colour it).

Of my other drawings (non-Dervland), I currently have three done, but plan on doing at least three more before posting them.

EDIT: I just noticed that you're using my avatar as your avatar on DeviantArt; I'm flattered. Big Grin

09-18-2012 17:06 potk is offline Send an Email to potk Homepage of potk Search for Posts by potk Add potk to your Buddy List
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
bosArt » Contributions » Art/Other Media » Dervland (working title for a planned comic)

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH