bosArt
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

bosArt » Critiques, Discussions & Reviews » Other Content » Shoe Loss in Cartoons, Games, Movies, and Comics MegaThread » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (118): « first ... « previous 107 108 [109] 110 111 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Shoe Loss in Cartoons, Games, Movies, and Comics MegaThread 17 Votes - Average Rating: 9.7617 Votes - Average Rating: 9.7617 Votes - Average Rating: 9.7617 Votes - Average Rating: 9.7617 Votes - Average Rating: 9.76
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Mandrake Mandrake is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-36.jpg

Registration Date: 03-03-2010

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Nopperabo
Found another single shoe Jane stage play (loss occurs off stage, but you can see he stocking foot around the 47 minute mark, and both her feet and the "took my boot" line are around 52 minutes.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn6C37OnccQ

On a related note, as a byproduct of all of my Oz searches, Pinterest has been leading me to a lot of Judy Garland pins, so I thought this could be an opportunity to check on something. According to many biographical sources, Judy had a habit of taking off her right shoe while reading, because she thought it improved her concentration. So I was looking to see if anyone had ever caught a photo of this happening. So far, so luck, I DID find one pin of her reading, but she's wearing a long skirt that covers her right leg (and the other foot clearly has a shoe on it.) I THOUGHT I had one from her show, but she appears to have BOTH shoes off in that (there was also one from The Clock (which has a single shoe moment in the actual movie) but she has removed her other shoe as well in that.)

Nice. Judy Garland was a real beauty. I don't think I've ever seen The Clock though. What was the one shoe scene?
07-29-2022 02:07 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
grizzletoad1 grizzletoad1 is a male
Triple Ace

images/avatars/avatar-78.jpg

Registration Date: 08-21-2013

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It was this. Right on the poster. Unfortunately it doesn't last longand she gets her shoe fixed right away.

grizzletoad1 has attached this image (reduced version):
The Clock Movie Poster Cropped.png

07-29-2022 05:37 grizzletoad1 is offline Send an Email to grizzletoad1 Homepage of grizzletoad1 Search for Posts by grizzletoad1 Add grizzletoad1 to your Buddy List
Nopperabo
Viking

images/avatars/avatar-31.jpg

Registration Date: 12-31-2011

While I haven't been able to find any single shoe Judy Garland pics. I DID manage to find one of the famous "mismatched footwear" screen test picture.

This is also famous as the only proof of the lost "bugle bead" pair of Ruby Slippers (left foot), which STILL hasn't been found again.
07-29-2022 06:17 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
Triple Ace

She actually just broke her heel in The Clock. This scene was staged for the poster, but the actor does take her shoe off to try and fix the heel, but when he can't they find a shoemaker and the next shot shows them coming out of the shoemaker with her shoes repaired. A very short sequence but still nice, aided by the 1940's wartime style of clothing she was wearing complete with a hat.
07-29-2022 18:54 grizzletoad1 is offline Send an Email to grizzletoad1 Homepage of grizzletoad1 Search for Posts by grizzletoad1 Add grizzletoad1 to your Buddy List
Triple Ace

Why did she have on mismatched shoes? There never was a scene like that in the film. In fact the film completely cut out the part in the book where Dorothy loses her shoe and the witch gets it before she's doused with water and melts, leaving just the ruby slipper.
07-29-2022 18:58 grizzletoad1 is offline Send an Email to grizzletoad1 Homepage of grizzletoad1 Search for Posts by grizzletoad1 Add grizzletoad1 to your Buddy List
Triple Ace

I also found it sad that the studio's thought Garland was too chubby and forced her to almost starve herself to thin down. It later led to the drug use that ultimately killed her.
07-29-2022 19:02 grizzletoad1 is offline Send an Email to grizzletoad1 Homepage of grizzletoad1 Search for Posts by grizzletoad1 Add grizzletoad1 to your Buddy List
Nopperabo
Viking

The answer to that is that this is a SCREEN TEST photo, from when they were working out exactly how they wanted the characters to look. She's wearing two different versions of the ruby slippers because the studio was trying to work out which would look better on screen (in the end, they went with neither of these versions, in favor of the sequined ones we know.) That's also probably why she has on black stockings instead of her normal blue bobby socks, they wanted better contrast for the shoes.

Other test photos exist for Garlands various proposed hair colors and styles (they were toying with making her blond originally) and costume arrangements. But as none of those related to shoes, I didn't bother to post them.

The only other shoe related thing concerned her Kansas shoes (the ones she has on BEFORE getting to oz). Originally they were going to go for shiny black Mary Jane style shoes, the brown Oxford like ones were a pretty late change, probably because the Mary Janes looked to "fancy" for the day to day shoes of a poor Kansas girl (given that they also appeared to be tap shoes, with decent heels, another consideration might have been the scene where Garland walks on the edge of the animal pen. Doing that in substantial heels might have proved too difficult.)
07-30-2022 00:54 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
omega omega is a male
King

images/avatars/avatar-28.jpg

Registration Date: 11-05-2011

Thread Starter Thread Started by omega

https://harleyquinn.fandom.com/wiki/Season_3
07-31-2022 13:01 omega is offline Send an Email to omega Search for Posts by omega Add omega to your Buddy List
Nopperabo
Viking

It still isn't QUITE a single shoe pic, but here's one of Garland having a costumer put on her boots for some movie.

[IMG]https://www.pinterest.com/pin/631981760196393985/[/IMG]
08-01-2022 23:25 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
Nopperabo
Viking

It still isn't QUITE a single shoe pic, but here is one of Garland having a costumer put on her boots for some movie.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Nopperabo: 08-01-2022 23:27.

08-01-2022 23:26 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by omega

Love that pic. I wonder if that scene will happen in the show.
08-02-2022 00:41 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
Nopperabo
Viking

quote:
Originally posted by Mandrake
quote:

Love that pic. I wonder if that scene will happen in the show.

Given that it is a direct parody of a famous painting (The Swing" by Fragonard) I rather doubt it.
08-02-2022 01:48 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
jr5713 jr5713 is a male

Registration Date: 04-27-2021

quote:
Nice finds.

I always thought that the girls in Persona 4 could lose a shoe going into tv world.

A little like this. (6:20) http://anilinkz.com/kuro-majo-san-ga-tooru-episode-14

http://www.amilova.com/en/comics-manga/9...-4/page-54.html

Here's another Japanese show where a girl loses a shoe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pUw6AL06YM&feature=relmfu (1:37)

I looked up that show Noperabo talked about once with the character that wears only one shoe and I found a shoe loss scene.

http://www.anime44.com/binbougami-ga-episode-5 (19:42)

Every now and then I like to reread this thread from the beginning to see if I overlooked something.

It was actually Episode 13 for Kuromajo-san ga Tooru!!, near the end of the episode.

Choco lost her right high heel in the Demon World and is left in one high heel and a red thigh high sock. While being transported back, you can also see her in one high heel and either a white stocking or thigh high sock, not sure which one to be exact.

It's unfortunate that so many instances have been lost because the links don't work anymore. I wish there was a better way to archive them.
08-04-2022 07:54 jr5713 is offline Send an Email to jr5713 Search for Posts by jr5713 Add jr5713 to your Buddy List
Nopperabo
Viking

quote:
[
It was actually Episode 13 for Kuromajo-san ga Tooru!!, near the end of the episode.

Choco lost her right high heel in the Demon World and is left in one high heel and a red thigh high sock. While being transported back, you can also see her in one high heel and either a white stocking or thigh high sock, not sure which one to be exact.

It's both, she swaps from her wedding dress (which has white stockings) to her witch outfit (which has red) mid transport.
08-04-2022 18:22 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
jr5713 jr5713 is a male

Registration Date: 04-27-2021

Ah ok, thanks.
08-04-2022 19:51 jr5713 is offline Send an Email to jr5713 Search for Posts by jr5713 Add jr5713 to your Buddy List
Nepenthy Nepenthy is a male

images/avatars/avatar-61.jpg

Registration Date: 11-29-2020

wow, that was very cute.
I really like those instance of girl losing shoe in another dimension which she will never be able to get it back.
Reminds me of a scene from the nightmare on elm street.
However, it is also sad that they lost their right shoe. I'd prefer to see some left shoe loss...

why there are significantly more right shoe loss then left shoe loss...Confused
08-05-2022 16:22 Nepenthy is offline Send an Email to Nepenthy Search for Posts by Nepenthy Add Nepenthy to your Buddy List
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Nepenthy
wow, that was very cute.
I really like those instance of girl losing shoe in another dimension which she will never be able to get it back.
However, it is also sad that they lost their right shoe. I'd prefer to see some left shoe loss...

I know exactly what scene you're talking about. Nightmare on Elm Street 4, the movie theater scene. It's about an hour in. I think she loses her left shoe in that. Earlier in the film she accidentally kicks off her right shoe while practicing a a karate move.
08-06-2022 07:30 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
Nopperabo
Viking

quote:
Originally posted by Nepenthy
wow, that was very cute.

It might be especially interesting if, when we return to that dimension at some date, we find out that the lost shoe has become an object of veneration in that dimension due to the things that person did (in much the same way that some churches have shoes that supposedly belonged to various saints.) For example, in Amphibia, I have a suspicion that both of Anne's lost right sneakers (the one she lost originally, and the one she lost in the quicksand when she came back) would have gone into museums as national treasures (quicksand does dry out eventually, so digging that one up later would be entirely possible. and the first one is presumably either in the ruins of Toad Tower or still in Grimes possession.)

Going back to an older cartoon, Penny's sneaker in Chalkzone (that she lost in the episode "Taffy") could be venerated by that Chalk World tribe that venerates objects from the real world that fall in.
08-06-2022 13:27 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List

You remember this wrong, she lost her right shoe in both instance

08-08-2022 18:27 Nepenthy is offline Send an Email to Nepenthy Search for Posts by Nepenthy Add Nepenthy to your Buddy List

sadly they always lose their right shoe, not their left shoe.

08-08-2022 19:04 Nepenthy is offline Send an Email to Nepenthy Search for Posts by Nepenthy Add Nepenthy to your Buddy List
Pages (118): « first ... « previous 107 108 [109] 110 111 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
bosArt » Critiques, Discussions & Reviews » Other Content » Shoe Loss in Cartoons, Games, Movies, and Comics MegaThread

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH