bosArt
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

bosArt » Critiques, Discussions & Reviews » Other Content » Shoe Loss in Cartoons, Games, Movies, and Comics MegaThread » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (117): « first ... « previous 104 105 [106] 107 108 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Shoe Loss in Cartoons, Games, Movies, and Comics MegaThread 17 Votes - Average Rating: 9.7617 Votes - Average Rating: 9.7617 Votes - Average Rating: 9.7617 Votes - Average Rating: 9.7617 Votes - Average Rating: 9.76
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Nopperabo
Viking

images/avatars/avatar-31.jpg

Registration Date: 12-31-2011

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I don't remember the NAME of the one with the construction site, but I remember it's one where Bluto is a hypnotist and has hypnotized her (which is how she winds up on the construction site in the first place).

And I'm not sure about the jungle one, but I do remember one where she is dragged away by a caveman and is dangling one of her shoes.

I think there was also one that opened with her knitting, and taking her foot in and out of her boot in order to use it as a third hand.
03-31-2022 13:52 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
FootsieFan357 FootsieFan357 is a male

images/avatars/avatar-62.jpg

Registration Date: 03-01-2022

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mandrake
quote:
Originally posted by FootsieFan357
Popeye: A Job For a Gob: Olive jumps out of her cowboy boots when Bluto sends a herd of bulls at her and Popeye. Her bare feet are only on screen for about 2 seconds, but it's still a great scene. (4:32)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5utuet

On the topic of Olive, there are a handful of scenes throughout Popeye history where she removes her footwear. Most of them don't count as losses, but rather removals. I'd still mention them for those who are interested though. While shoe removal isn't the same as shoe loss, it's still better than nothing.

There was one I remember seeing on cartoon network back in the 90s where she's wearing heels and stockings. She gets dragged away and one of her heels falls off. I wish I knew the name of the cartoon. All I remember is that they were stranded in a jungle and it looked like it was from the forties when they had just switched to technicolor.

I also remember one where she's wearing strappy high heels and she's on a construction sight. Somehow her shoe gets stuck and she winds up hanging off the end of a piece of scaffolding by her shoe strap. I think she was wearing stockings in that one too. Again, I don't remember the name of the cartoon either.

There are two, however that I have been able to find (and it may have been thanks to this this MB so it might not be the first time posted here).

1. Fright to the Finish - Olive jumps out of her stockings and shoes after being frightened by Bluto when answering the door. https://youtu.be/__RKftrev-E?t=99

2. It's the Natural Thing To Do - Olive tries to teach Bluto and Popeye to act like gentlemen and not get into so many fights. They go to Olive's house wearing tuxes and Olive is wearing a dress and heels (and I think stockings but it's hard to tell). As you might of guessed, they wind up brawling. Olive gets sucked into the fight and she loses her shoes. The empty shoes wind up tap dancing on their own for a bit. The cartoon ends with the three of them beating each other up. If you pause your way through it you can actually see olive's stocking feet on Popeye's face in one frame and he's smiling.

https://youtu.be/XWRRPq5V_7k?t=379

The one with the construction site is called "A Balmy Swami". (5:30)
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7pt8uw

I couldn't find the one with heels in the jungle, but while searching, I found a different jungle one called "Safari So Good". Olive jumps out of her boots in this one. She wears pants in this one instead of her usual skirt, but at least she's barefoot in this one. (4:17)
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x85jqpx

Nopperabo, the one with Olive knitting is called "Olive's Sweepstakes Ticket" (0:33)
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xke2t8

03-31-2022 18:21 FootsieFan357 is offline Send an Email to FootsieFan357 Search for Posts by FootsieFan357 Add FootsieFan357 to your Buddy List
Nopperabo
Viking

Now that I see it again, she is actually embroidering, but same idea.
03-31-2022 23:31 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
bosArt
admin

Registration Date: 09-17-2014

where's the shoe? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

snapshot from a shoe store ad (Humanic)

bosArt has attached this image (reduced version):
Screenshot 2022-04-01 095428.png

04-01-2022 10:03 bosArt is offline Send an Email to bosArt Search for Posts by bosArt Add bosArt to your Buddy List
Mandrake Mandrake is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-36.jpg

Registration Date: 03-03-2010

quote:
quote:
quote:
Popeye: A Job For a Gob: Olive jumps out of her cowboy boots when Bluto sends a herd of bulls at her and Popeye. Her bare feet are only on screen for about 2 seconds, but it's still a great scene. (4:32)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5utuet

On the topic of Olive, there are a handful of scenes throughout Popeye history where she removes her footwear. Most of them don't count as losses, but rather removals. I'd still mention them for those who are interested though. While shoe removal isn't the same as shoe loss, it's still better than nothing.

There was one I remember seeing on cartoon network back in the 90s where she's wearing heels and stockings. She gets dragged away and one of her heels falls off. I wish I knew the name of the cartoon. All I remember is that they were stranded in a jungle and it looked like it was from the forties when they had just switched to technicolor.

I also remember one where she's wearing strappy high heels and she's on a construction sight. Somehow her shoe gets stuck and she winds up hanging off the end of a piece of scaffolding by her shoe strap. I think she was wearing stockings in that one too. Again, I don't remember the name of the cartoon either.

There are two, however that I have been able to find (and it may have been thanks to this this MB so it might not be the first time posted here).

1. Fright to the Finish - Olive jumps out of her stockings and shoes after being frightened by Bluto when answering the door. https://youtu.be/__RKftrev-E?t=99

2. It's the Natural Thing To Do - Olive tries to teach Bluto and Popeye to act like gentlemen and not get into so many fights. They go to Olive's house wearing tuxes and Olive is wearing a dress and heels (and I think stockings but it's hard to tell). As you might of guessed, they wind up brawling. Olive gets sucked into the fight and she loses her shoes. The empty shoes wind up tap dancing on their own for a bit. The cartoon ends with the three of them beating each other up. If you pause your way through it you can actually see olive's stocking feet on Popeye's face in one frame and he's smiling.

https://youtu.be/XWRRPq5V_7k?t=379

The one with the construction site is called "A Balmy Swami". (5:30)
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7pt8uw

I couldn't find the one with heels in the jungle, but while searching, I found a different jungle one called "Safari So Good". Olive jumps out of her boots in this one. She wears pants in this one instead of her usual skirt, but at least she's barefoot in this one. (4:17)
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x85jqpx

Nopperabo, the one with Olive knitting is called "Olive's Sweepstakes Ticket" (0:33)
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xke2t8

Nice, it might not have been in the jungle, but they were in some sort of wilderness with a large cliff. In fact it may have involved a plane crash, but I can't remember for sure. She was getting dragged by something and her shoe comes off, or at the very least pops partially off, I think it was a strappy shoe and it was pretty clear that she was wearing stockings in this (you could see the rht). It was also in color, but it looked like one of the every early color popeye cartoons from the 30s or 40s as popeye was wering his blue sailor outfit although it may have originally been in black and white and was colorized later. Wish I remembered the name.
04-02-2022 23:17 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
Administrator

RE: where's the shoe? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by bosArt

Love her stockings. Do you see her shoe come off? Or is it just a quick shot?
04-02-2022 23:18 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
bosArt
admin

RE: where's the shoe? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bosArt

Love her stockings. Do you see her shoe come off? Or is it just a quick shot?

no, that's all. very short sequence. you just see the shoeless foot emerge.

04-02-2022 23:56 bosArt is offline Send an Email to bosArt Search for Posts by bosArt Add bosArt to your Buddy List
Administrator

Ah ok, well here's one. Shoe loss from the show "wipe out".

https://youtu.be/TUnBk1lI-ZU
04-02-2022 23:59 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
Nopperabo
Viking

quote:

Nice, it might not have been in the jungle, but they were in some sort of wilderness with a large cliff. In fact it may have involved a plane crash, but I can't remember for sure. She was getting dragged by something and her shoe comes off, or at the very least pops partially off, I think it was a strappy shoe and it was pretty clear that she was wearing stockings in this (you could see the rht). It was also in color, but it looked like one of the every early color popeye cartoons from the 30s or 40s as popeye was wering his blue sailor outfit although it may have originally been in black and white and was colorized later. Wish I remembered the name.

If it was only a dangle, it's probably the same one I was referring to with the caveman/wild man.
04-03-2022 14:26 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Nopperabo
quote:

If it was only a dangle, it's probably the same one I was referring to with the caveman/wild man.

Possibly, what was the name of that one?
04-04-2022 04:22 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
Nopperabo
Viking

quote:
quote:
quote:

Like I said before, I don't remember, I just remember it exists.
04-04-2022 15:13 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
Administrator

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Like I said before, I don't remember, I just remember it exists.

I found it! It's called "Pre-Hysterical Man". It's not exactly as I remember it though. Her shoe only comes partially off as she's being dragged but she is wearing stockings (as confirmed by the fact that they were used as parachutes in that one gag)
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7prtyx
04-05-2022 00:37 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
Nopperabo
Viking

Yep, that's the one

It's also interesting to note that I think this is one of the few times Olive's shoes are open toe.
04-05-2022 14:09 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
FootsieFan357 FootsieFan357 is a male

images/avatars/avatar-62.jpg

Registration Date: 03-01-2022

Another thing to note is that Olive never wears her stockings with her boots, only her heels. It makes sense though, considering the time period in which the Popeye shorts came out.
Wearing stockings with boots seemed like a royal/Victorian thing at the time, I'm assuming.

04-06-2022 02:55 FootsieFan357 is offline Send an Email to FootsieFan357 Search for Posts by FootsieFan357 Add FootsieFan357 to your Buddy List
Nopperabo
Viking

It also may have been a classist thing. By the 1930's, CERTAINLY by the 1940's, high button shoes had been out of fashion for almost 20-30 years (hence the then common expression at the time to dismiss an idea as old-fashioned, "That went out with button shoes.").

About the ONLY people who still wore them were some rural people (particularly older ones). So wearing them developed as part of the "rural hick" sort of image. When they started to modernize Olive's image, the boots had to go.

That also would explain the lack of stockings. Nylon was pretty new by then (and during the war reserved for the army). And silk stockings were expensive. So again, no stockings=poor rural.

Also, the inside joke about Olive Oyl's boots (that she wore them because she had ENORMOUS feet) was largely forgotten by the public.
04-06-2022 15:13 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
grizzletoad1 grizzletoad1 is a male
Triple Ace

images/avatars/avatar-78.jpg

Registration Date: 08-21-2013

We're talking about a cartoon here guys. And not even one that can be considered anatomical, although she is at least an adult. I've said before that we must be careful with these cartoons and especially anime characters that tend to be very young and could lead to this group to being accused of pedophilia. Before that happens, lets make sure we direct most of our interest to ADULT characters and try to steer clear of the more youthful ones. The last thing we want is to have this group accused of something that is indefensable, disturbing, and disgusting. Just an opinion.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by grizzletoad1: 04-07-2022 01:59.

04-07-2022 01:59 grizzletoad1 is offline Send an Email to grizzletoad1 Homepage of grizzletoad1 Search for Posts by grizzletoad1 Add grizzletoad1 to your Buddy List
Administrator

Olive Oyl is clearly an adult character, but I definitely agree that we should not be posting drawings of underage characters in sexual situations even if they're just cartoons.

I guess the real question is what constitutes a "sexual situation". Most of what's been posted has just involved feet and shoe loss, and most of it from mainstream sources (often PG or G rated). To imply that a G rated cartoon you saw as a kid constitutes pornography just because it was posted here is a bit ridiculous IMO. But it is true that simply the act of posting it here changes the context and may cause people to see it in a more sexual light than intended.

Is shoe loss a sexual situation? To most people it isn't, but to those of us with a foot fetish it very likely is sexually arousing. Does that mean it should be treated as pornography? Of course not. If we started doing that then everything would be considered pornography since there's a fetish for pretty much everything out there.

But I acknowledge that not everyone sees it the way I do so we should err on the side caution when posting anything that involves depictions of anyone under the age of 18 EVEN if it's just a cartoon, and EVEN if it's just feet and EVEN if it's not clear if the character is an adult or not. There's a reason BosArt includes a disclaimer in his comics that says all characters have a fictional age of 18+ and that's to remove any such doubt. We're a small community and fortunately I haven't seen any outright child pornography posted here nor have I seen anyone (other than grizzletoad) complain about it. But I agree that we should be more careful about what we post to avoid any possible accusations.
04-13-2022 04:28 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
GiantSquid33

Registration Date: 09-17-2017

https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/The-Bel...-8?id=193499#12
https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/Asphalt...t-2?id=195745#5
https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/Mayday-...e-5?id=195197#7
https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/Zombie-...-4?id=196665#13

quote:
But I acknowledge that not everyone sees it the way I do so we should err on the side caution when posting anything that involves depictions of anyone under the age of 18 EVEN if it's just a cartoon, and EVEN if it's just feet and EVEN if it's not clear if the character is an adult or not. There's a reason BosArt includes a disclaimer in his comics that says all characters have a fictional age of 18+ and that's to remove any such doubt.

I think erring on the side of caution makes sense for content actually produced by and/or hosted on the site. There are legal implications to that. But if were talking about just posting external links this really seems like overkill. Especially considering that there's really not a ton of shoe loss content out there. Beggars can't be choosers.

It kinda highlights the absurdity of this whole issue to me too. If literally all that makes a fictional image under or over 18 is whether the creator *says* it is then that just seems like a trivial distinction. A drawing is a drawing. If it looks like a kid then yeah, that's weird. If it doesn't then great. I'm not gonna bother trying to track down whether whoever created it has explicitly said the character is 18+. Just use common sense.
04-13-2022 07:35 GiantSquid33 is offline Send an Email to GiantSquid33 Search for Posts by GiantSquid33 Add GiantSquid33 to your Buddy List
grizzletoad1 grizzletoad1 is a male
Triple Ace

images/avatars/avatar-78.jpg

Registration Date: 08-21-2013

Not complaining. Just cautious considering how crazy the world around us has become and anything can be considered a trigger to some one. I just prefer adult women characters, either real or realistically drawn, to cartoons. And there just seems to be a lot of Japanese anime that shows up here where the characters are most definitely high school aged. With everyone looking for anything on the net to destroy people's lives with, I'm just saying erring on the side of caution is the best policy and I do applaude you, Bosart, for taking the extra step of stating your characters are all considered 18+ years of age.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by grizzletoad1: 04-13-2022 14:05.

04-13-2022 13:57 grizzletoad1 is offline Send an Email to grizzletoad1 Homepage of grizzletoad1 Search for Posts by grizzletoad1 Add grizzletoad1 to your Buddy List
bosArt
admin

quote:
Originally posted by grizzletoad1
Not complaining. Just cautious considering how crazy the world around us has become and anything can be considered a trigger to some one. I just prefer adult women characters, either real or realistically drawn, to cartoons. And there just seems to be a lot of Japanese anime that shows up here where the characters are most definitely high school aged. With everyone looking for anything on the net to destroy people's lives with, I'm just saying erring on the side of caution is the best policy and I do applaude you, Bosart, for taking the extra step of stating your characters are all considered 18+ years of age.

thanks. The actual statement goes like this: "All targets of sexually motivated and/or fetish oriented activities are of virtual age 18 or older. Content not suitable for minors and therefore restricted for age 18+"

It's a complex topic. I am never really sure how to handle mainstream scenes which are clearly created in a different non-sexually oriented context, specifically if minors are targetting adults like for example in "look who's talking" with the child under the table teasing an adult woman by first taking off her high heeled shoe and then tickling her foot. Although in my opinion such a scene is acceptable - and also would be doable according to my statement because the child is the culprit not the victim - I still would avoid re-creating a scene like that because of the context it is in. Solution for me: I replace the child with an immaturely behaving young adult of 18+ just to be on the safe side even if this person is never being a target. And because immature behavior is more plausible for younger adults, my preferential playground is college or senior high school class which at least in my country definitely means that everyone in it is of age 18+

I don't see an issue with the cartoon that started the discussion. At least in my opinion Olive Oyl is an adult character anyway.

04-13-2022 15:36 bosArt is offline Send an Email to bosArt Search for Posts by bosArt Add bosArt to your Buddy List
Pages (117): « first ... « previous 104 105 [106] 107 108 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
bosArt » Critiques, Discussions & Reviews » Other Content » Shoe Loss in Cartoons, Games, Movies, and Comics MegaThread

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH