bosArt
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

bosArt » Critiques, Discussions & Reviews » Other Content » Shoe Loss in Cartoons, Games, Movies, and Comics MegaThread » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (117): « first ... « previous 61 62 [63] 64 65 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Shoe Loss in Cartoons, Games, Movies, and Comics MegaThread 17 Votes - Average Rating: 9.7617 Votes - Average Rating: 9.7617 Votes - Average Rating: 9.7617 Votes - Average Rating: 9.7617 Votes - Average Rating: 9.76
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
omega omega is a male
King

images/avatars/avatar-28.jpg

Registration Date: 11-05-2011

Thread Starter Thread Started by omega
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Happy new year! I've known about this movie for years thanks to Droppedit but I've still can't find it. But I found the scene.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SR8Xxh5e210
01-01-2015 20:39 omega is offline Send an Email to omega Search for Posts by omega Add omega to your Buddy List
Nopperabo
Viking

images/avatars/avatar-31.jpg

Registration Date: 12-31-2011

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Happy New Year to all of you!
Okay here's the last batch of alternations (well the last batch until I can get my hands on a few more candidate books)

From the Ondori Nutcracker

"I've been a good girl, Uncle. Did you bring me a second shoe for Chistmas?"

"Anyone who saved my son is always welcome in my court, if they are missing a shoe or no."

I originally thought these would be a bit easier than most, since Arai drew Clara's shoes without any appreciable heels or soles (at least, at this distance; her shoe has sole and heel in the closeup where it is hitting the Mouse King). But he also drew her with these really long toe regions, and that makes the pictures look a little weird. Plus, since Ondori Books are MUCH harder to find than nearly all of the other series I collect, what copies I DO have are usually a lot more worn (you can see a fold in the first picture), which makes the job even harder

From the Ondori Wizard of Oz

"As long as you wear this sliver shoe on your foot, and no shoe on the other one, you will have my protection"

"Gee, that was awful nice of you, throwing your shoe at that crow to scare it away"

"If you will do me the kindness of oiling me so I can move, I will be only too happy to help you find your shoe."

"No I don't want a second shoe, I want to go home!"

"Who cares that I lost a shoe? With this broom the wizard will grant my wish and send me home where I have other shoes."

Ironically this particular edition is one where I CAN'T do the melting witch picture because, like the double ribbon in this version, Dorothy loses BOTH her shoes

From the Kikaku version of Ozma of Oz (and probably the fanciest Mary Janes Yutaka Ono has ever drawn)

"Uncle Henry, did you see where my other shoe skittered off to?"

"And I'm holding onto the other one, just to make SURE you don't just walk out of here!"

I originally did this one with the other shoe removed (since it was less work). However I realized that that caused the same problem as there is with the "official shoe loss picture for the Sweet Mother and Child Nutcracker, namely, that, because of the position of the foot and how much of it is poking past the skirt, with no shoe there, it looks like all you are seeing is her knee

"Ruggedo, haven't you heard what I did to the Wicked With of the West? When people take my one of my shoes, I DESTORY them!"

"And I'm KEEPING the Belt!"

That does it for the altered pictures for the moment. However I do have one last start of the year surpise. While wandering around the net, I found a site that was archiving "classic" Peanuts (the re-prints many newspapers started when Shlultz stopped doing new ones" and it looks like at some point the "stolen shoe" strip was chosen. So here is a link to a version in actualy COLOR. Of course I have no idea if this is the original coloration for the strip (I keep thinking Lucy's socks should be a much darker blue than they are here). But until I find a colored original, this will have to do.
http://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/2013/10/20

Until next time.
01-02-2015 01:07 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
Mandrake Mandrake is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-36.jpg

Registration Date: 03-03-2010

Into the Woods has some great scenes. Cinderella loses her shoes a few times, unfortunately she goes bare, but her stepsisters have some stocking foot shots. The play version is better because Cinderella wears stockings (I think I may have posted a clip of that before earlier in the thread, if not I'll see if I can find it).
01-04-2015 10:54 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
omega omega is a male
King

Did she lose one shoe at a time or was it both shoes at the same time?

http://www.emberswift.com/articles/page/115/
01-04-2015 15:41 omega is offline Send an Email to omega Search for Posts by omega Add omega to your Buddy List
Administrator

There's one scene where The Baker's wife pulls one shoe off Cinderella as she's running away, but it's very quick and you don't get to see her foot. Maybe you do for a few frames, but you'll probably have to wait for the bluray and use the pause button to see it. They wrestle for the shoe and Cinderella wins and runs off carrying the shoe.

Then there's "steps of the palace" scene that I posted the play version of earlier in this thread where she sings the whole song in one shoe.
http://youtu.be/mGfsC7rc9ic
http://youtu.be/11LXC_guc_0?t=1h28s

The film version is cool because it happens as she's stuck in the pitch and time stops as she steps out of the both shoes to sing the song. But again, her feet are bare so it's a letdown, for me at least. She runs off with one shoe, then swaps shoes with the baker's wife later, but you don't really get a good look at the baker's wife's feet (she's wearing thicker stockings).

Finally, there's the shoe fitting scene. Cinderella is wearing thick black stockings here, though the prince slips them off to put the shoe on. The wicked stepsisters wear sheer black stockings, though they remove them also to try on the shoes. They also mutilate their feet to try and fit the shoe, but they don't show this (thankfully).

I've seen a stage production of this play many years ago that had a much better shoe loss scenes than the film, and the filmed version of the play. Cinderella lost her shoes several times as she tumbled through the woods and she was wearing sheer white stockings (probably to make her shoes come off easier). I must say, it left a deep impression on my young mind.

All that aside, it's a great play, and the film adaptation is really good and worth checking out, although they did rush the second act quite a bit and the ending suffered for it.
01-04-2015 17:46 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
Nopperabo
Viking

I actually managed to do a few more pics due to going back over some books (and digging out a few I didn't think I could do)

More from the Kikaku alice

"Mr. Rabbit come back here with my shoe!"

"Wait, I really need my shoe back"

"Excuse me, Mr. Cat, have you seen a rabbit come by carrying a red Mary Jane like the one I have on?"

"What do you expect? it's hard to balance on one shoe, even if the heel is low."

From Helen Keller

"NO, I'm not giving you your shoe back until you stop throwing it at me"

"Don't worry, this is a school for the blind, no one will notice."

From the Kikaku Wizard of Oz

"Looks like throwing my shoe at it didn't distract it. Chop FASTER!"

I really don't like this image once, but it is literally the only image in the whole book I could manipulate. Those bows tend to pole out over the edges of the top of the shoe, messing up the outline.
01-05-2015 03:09 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
Administrator

Great work Nop.

An old sesame street sketch I remember as a kid.
http://youtu.be/hglA8zePhUM
01-07-2015 21:49 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
Nopperabo
Viking

I actually remember seeing that Sesame Street skit as a kid (I think it was the first time I ever heard the word "puce"

One final image

"Hopefully, my shoe will land somewhere I can find it when I reach the bottom."

That pretty much does it for the altered images for now. Originally I thought I there were four or five more pictures in this Alice I could do, but all of the others had problems that made them too hard. One had the feet in what proved to be an awkward position to paint over. One was too high off the ground (the image doesn't really work unless the foot is more or less in the position it would be if the shoe actually wasn't there. Or one of the reasons that most of the pictures I have done this way feature shoes with fairly low heels) One had the grass actually superimposed over the bottom of the shoes (the outlines are rough enough up close when the line between the foot and the ground is more or less flat, or gentle curves. Dealing with jagged grass is beyond my current skill. A few had backgrounds that were just too complex (I can fill in background when it is more or less a solid color, or even fairly simply, like the stripes of plank flooring, but a field covered with daises, no. And the last two would have worked, except Yutaka Ono decided to make the gold button on Alice's shoes poke out, which meant there was a lump in the outline I couldn't erase away convincingly. So this is probably it, until such time as I get some more books

And that could be quite a while. It hasn't been a good two months with regards for finding books of this type. I have SOME coming in the next shipment I having coming from Rinkya, but I don't think there are any that I haven't already done here (or at least none that would have images that would work for this.)
01-08-2015 04:17 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
Nopperabo
Viking

Bit of a treat for everyone. Over the last few weeks I have been doing some tidying up, and that means I can access a some of the stuff in my collection. So from time to time I will try and put up A FEW of those here (I emphasize "a few", my choice which, my choice when. And if you start trying for the "No sections, no waiting, we need to see absolutely everything in your collection RIGHT NOW", the scans will stop IMMEDIATELY.) Today I'm doing 4

First those three images from that Sailor Moon board book I mentioned with the alternate version of the Cinderella shoe monster

Technically this one doesn't really count as a single shoe picture (though, if your tastes run the same way as mine, mismatched shoes are almost as much of a turn on) But I include to note another difference between this version and the anime (besides the obvious plot ones) Evidently in this universe the straps on Usagi's school shoes are a lot stiffer than they are in the anime. Based on the few times you see her shoes without her feet in them in that it appears that the straps on them are actually elasticized and collapse in when not being worn (episode 2 is probably the best close-up that proves this, when she put her shoe back on after kicking it off she does it by simply putting her foot back inside and pushing, no use of hands to re-adjust the straps to make them tight again)

Hopefully these two are in the right order. Like most of my stored collection, these images were removed from their books long ago and I an no longer sure of the image order (that also means that there is no point in asking me what the cover of the book I got them from looks like, I no longer remember)

Actually at some point I should probably go on one of those manga scan sites and see if any of the shoe losses from the anime are actually in there. I was so sure they wouldn't be (because I knew the anime did not follow the manga all that closely) I don't think I ever actually CHECKED.

And as a final coda a girl from some other anime in a vary senshi-like fuku (sorry about the glare, the scanner started having problem before I got to it, so I had to do this one with camera)

Again, I don't remember what book this came from, Though ironically I remember running through the whole rest of the book trying to figure out where her other shoe had gotten to (when you have a picture like this where the character is otherwise fully dressed and the clothes show no damage, one tends to assume they took off their shoe on purpose (most likely to keep from getting their leg dirty when they sat on their foot) and one expects it to be nearby.
01-08-2015 16:59 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
Nopperabo
Viking

Went through the SAF book pile in my under bed drawer and found one more picture I could modify

This is a little "blockier" in color than I usually like. The problem is that for this one, I had to take the stocking color from the other leg (much as I had to import it from a later picture in the two SAF Sara Crewe ones), since, on the foot I was working on, the whole of the part of the leg that has stocking is buried under the dress. On one level this is good (if it wasn't, the flare of the top of the boot would be present on that foot as well, and I couldn't actually DO the de-booting.) but it does mean there is no shadowing (actually I'm not sure there is shadowing on any of the pictures in this book, the colors are pretty flat)

Still not that bad. Plus you have that nice toe point in the boot that's still there.
01-11-2015 02:47 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
omega omega is a male
King

Best ending to a Cinderella story.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLQqw5TK...S&v=CKSwGmAxkY8
01-11-2015 20:04 omega is offline Send an Email to omega Search for Posts by omega Add omega to your Buddy List
ko962 ko962 is a male
Triple Ace

images/avatars/avatar-29.jpg

Registration Date: 08-07-2012

quote:
Originally posted by omega
Best ending to a Cinderella story.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLQqw5TK...S&v=CKSwGmAxkY8

Oh yes I think it is the best ending to a Cinderella story.
01-12-2015 12:02 ko962 is offline Send an Email to ko962 Homepage of ko962 Search for Posts by ko962 Add ko962 to your Buddy List
Nopperabo
Viking

Four more from the archives (two groups of two)

The top is from a version of "Pop goes the Weasel" from one of those Little Golden Books. Quite possibly NOT an actual little golden book, but something on that line, Little Elf or the like (sorry I don't remember which)

Still it's a nice picture and for whoever it was way back when who wished there that Jane in Disney's Tarzan had lost her boot ONLY (i.e. she still had her stocking) probably as close as one will get)

The Lower is from a variation of a nursery rhyme. In this one, it was

"Sing, sing, what shall I sing
The Cat's ran away with my shoestring
Do, Do what shall I do
The Cat has bitten it clean in two"

In the original it's "the pudding string" (the string you'd use to tie up the cloth bag you'd use for a boiled pudding.) That probably means there are no other illustrations like this, since I have never seen that variant again.

The Top is from a version of the nursery rhyme "Cobbler, Cobbler, Mend my shoe." Technically the image shoe had a lot more (the original had the cobbler and his workshop) However this picture dates from the early days of my collecting, when I cropped pictures down to the character themselves (as opposed to now, when I try and save the whole illustration. And unlike most of the pictures from that time, which I have since replaced with complete copies I haven't been able to track down another copy of this book (it was sold at a small independent bookstore that has since closed, so I can't go back, and it's been so long I've forgotten both cover appearance and title). Pity I'd really like another copy (besides a full version of this picture that book also had a versing of "Cock-a-doodle doo" that I don't have anymore at all that illustrated all four verses (with the dame in one shoe for three of them)

Bottom is the nursery rhyme "Little Girl". Again, not an unfamiliar rhyme, but this is I think the only version where the little girl actually compares the diamond to her shoe (or at least, the only one where she takes her shoe off to do the comparison. I think there was one I saw with the diamond and an empty shoe, but no girl.)
01-13-2015 16:55 Nopperabo is offline Send an Email to Nopperabo Search for Posts by Nopperabo Add Nopperabo to your Buddy List
Administrator

http://youtu.be/qLaMmTo0PTU

http://youtu.be/BWAvSdFZZ5U
01-17-2015 11:36 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
grizzletoad1 grizzletoad1 is a male
Triple Ace

images/avatars/avatar-78.jpg

Registration Date: 08-21-2013

Here's something I found on the web. Nice composition.
01-18-2015 00:54 grizzletoad1 is offline Send an Email to grizzletoad1 Homepage of grizzletoad1 Search for Posts by grizzletoad1 Add grizzletoad1 to your Buddy List
Triple Ace

Oops. Looks like I can't upload. The image is too big.
01-18-2015 01:02 grizzletoad1 is offline Send an Email to grizzletoad1 Homepage of grizzletoad1 Search for Posts by grizzletoad1 Add grizzletoad1 to your Buddy List
Triple Ace

Okay, let's try this again. Neat composition.

grizzletoad1 has attached this image (reduced version):
 c22fd64df665b5af4b63c9fe2ab5598a14130316
9631453121.jpg

01-18-2015 01:13 grizzletoad1 is offline Send an Email to grizzletoad1 Homepage of grizzletoad1 Search for Posts by grizzletoad1 Add grizzletoad1 to your Buddy List
Triple Ace

This one took some doing, but I think I got it. It's not exactly one shoe, but it's another Cinderella take and we all know what the deal is there. It's just an interesting angle of the familiar shoe-loss scene.

grizzletoad1 has attached this image (reduced version):
 c31a0ec16791406c0b54f3011df9245213151686
2025355263-3.jpg

01-18-2015 01:26 grizzletoad1 is offline Send an Email to grizzletoad1 Homepage of grizzletoad1 Search for Posts by grizzletoad1 Add grizzletoad1 to your Buddy List
Administrator

Girl almost loses her shoe when she steps out of her car.
http://youtu.be/hW_rpSwItAE
01-22-2015 09:01 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
Administrator

http://youtu.be/PmfdzdAerUc?list=PLD3622D00053FF3BA
01-25-2015 14:10 Mandrake is offline Send an Email to Mandrake Homepage of Mandrake Search for Posts by Mandrake Add Mandrake to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Mandrake: MandrakeMoorglade
Pages (117): « first ... « previous 61 62 [63] 64 65 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
bosArt » Critiques, Discussions & Reviews » Other Content » Shoe Loss in Cartoons, Games, Movies, and Comics MegaThread

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH