bosArt (http://board.bosart.eu/index.php)
- Contributions (http://board.bosart.eu/board.php?boardid=25)
-- Art/Other Media (http://board.bosart.eu/board.php?boardid=28)
--- Dervland (working title for a planned comic) (http://board.bosart.eu/thread.php?threadid=142)

Posted by potk on 09-18-2012 at21:38:

It all depends on if Zeiram and I can find a way to work together and if we have enough time to work on it. Right now, I can't devote much time to it outside of test sketches of different outfits and characters. It also depends on whether or not Mandrake will approve of what we do.

Posted by Mandrake on 09-19-2012 at01:09:

Well, since I can't commission anyone right now, my approval is not necessary. Any work you do on it will be your own and welcome and I wouldn't be in charge, but will just be a partner in the creation of the comic. Although, for the sake of the partnership, it's probably best if we all come to a consensus and agree on how the final product should look.

Posted by potk on 09-20-2012 at00:50:

Alright; anything else you'd like to tell me? I sent a PM to Zeiram and am waitng for his reply.

EDIT: Also, did Zeiram come up with the designs for the characters, or did you give him an outline for him to use, becuase I was thinking of altering Angelica's second design; I don't think a sailor outfit works for her.

Posted by Mandrake on 09-20-2012 at06:46:

I'm not sure if the sailor outfit was my idea. I did suggest a school uniform though. I'd like to see what you come up with if you have a better look for her. The designs for Yumi, Tanya, Katrina and Jasmine were Zeiram's, although I suggested the look for Yumi and Tanya's boots (the ones without the cloth tops are the redesigns)

Posted by Mandrake on 09-20-2012 at06:50:

quote:
Originally posted by potk
quote:
Originally posted by Mandrake
Yeah, he's a really good artist. I've tried drawing the characters myself too, but can't match his style or level of skill. I mentioned you to him, and he actually wanted to talk to you about working together with you on the project, because he's still interested in doing it, but can't bear the full workload. Perhaps the two of you can work as a team, maybe one as the penciler and the other as colorist, or maybe splitting up the work more evenly if your styles mesh. His DA page is:

http://zeiram0034.deviantart.com/

Cool. I tried drawing Angelica again last night, matching Zeiram's art style (only from her chest up) and thought it looked pretty good, but I still need more practice, I think. My personal/preffered art style is a bit more simplistic and slender/rounder than his, so I think either we find a compromise, or I'll end up doing the majority of the drawing and her ends up inking/colouring it (which I'd actually prefer, since I have no way to colour it).

Of my other drawings (non-Dervland), I currently have three done, but plan on doing at least three more before posting them.

EDIT: I just noticed that you're using my avatar as your avatar on DeviantArt; I'm flattered. Big Grin

Sounds cool. As for the avatar, yeah I used it for awhile, but just changed it last night. It's a great avatar, but didn't want to get it confused with you so I changed it to angelica.

Posted by potk on 09-20-2012 at15:22:

Out of all the girls, Angelica is the only one I think I'll change the design rather considerably. Everyone else I think is fine, though I may mix parts of the original design and the secind design.

I also just got a note back from Zeiram; we're still looking to see if there's a better way for us to communicate.

Posted by Mandrake on 09-20-2012 at22:56:

I'm a bit nervous to see your redesign, since I do rather like Angelica's look, but I'd like to see it nonetheless.

I recommend you read the descriptions of the sketches I posted in my scrapbook so you can get an idea of how each sketch evolved.

http://mandrakemoorglade.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=scraps

Posted by potk on 09-20-2012 at23:01:

The only real things I were planning on changing were her top (replacing the sailor fuku with a sweater and maybe a bow) and changing her from a blonde to either a brunnete or a redhead (mostly the former).

Jod and Frod will be a mixture of the original and redisigns, but with visible eyes and three straight lines down the toe to resemble teeth.

Posted by Mandrake on 09-20-2012 at23:31:

Okay. One of the things we discussed about Jod and Frod is that they look like plain old sneakers most of the time. But when they "come to life" and start talking and doing things they become very anthropomorphic and expressive. I wanted this comic to have a very cartoony look where things can just sort of change forms freely like that. So don't make them look too life-like unless you're drawing them in action.

Posted by potk on 09-20-2012 at23:34:

Oh, their eyes only show up whenever they start talking; they don't appear when they're lifeless. The three lines are just cosmetic and aren't real teeth.

Posted by Mandrake on 09-21-2012 at00:05:

Okay, cool. Can't wait to see your interpretation.

Posted by potk on 10-05-2012 at05:46:

Zeiram and I just had our first chat on Skype; we're having a lot of fun discussing ideas and characters for not only Dervland but for other stuff we may want to do. We shared some artwork that we've done in the past, and now we're each giving ourselves a little challenge by requesting one another to draw something for them. Hopefully we'll be able to show these soon, and hopefully we'll be able to chat again even sooner. Big Grin

Posted by Mandrake on 10-05-2012 at07:44:

Cool, would love to be involved in these discussions.

Posted by potk on 10-05-2012 at23:45:

All you need really is a Skype account. We plan on meeting later today to discuss more stuff, and we'll see if we can plan ahead and secure a date in the future for you to join if you miss us tonite.

Posted by Mandrake on 10-16-2012 at12:58:

At first, I wasn't sure if I should post this, since it spoils the entire backstory of my Dervland comic. But seeing as I don't know if I'll ever get to finishing this, I'd rather it be available than not. Still, there's a small chance this project may be completed, so if you don't want to be spoiled, don't read this. It's just a rough outline and written as a guide for myself and for the artists involved. It's not meant to be a polished finished product, so be aware of that when you read this outline.

This is a very long backstory, a story in its own right. At first, I considered revealing all this story in an issue at the point in which Angelica meets old Attis deep into the Dervland comic. But I soon realized, upon writing it, that the story is much too vast for one comic. Indeed, this story is even more vast than Angelica's, and on a much more epic scale, and therefore would require a series all its own. What I've decided to do instead was to keep this backstory as mainly a written work, but with illustrations here and there. Each chapter of this story would be included as a supplement to each issue of Dervland, revealing, little by little, more of the backstory as the reader goes through each issue. It's similar, in some ways, to the supplemental written material in the Watchmen comics. I'm tempted to write this in the style of JRR Tolkien's silmarillion (but with less old english), because it does indeed cover a lot of history despite the fact that it follows the life of one man. Or is it two men? I'll let you be the judge.

http://mandrakemoorglade.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=scraps#/d5i2ipo

Posted by Mandrake on 10-18-2012 at13:17:

Here's the rough outline to the rest of the dervland story from issue 4 on. It does not include Attis's backstory (which has been linked above).

Again, be aware this is just a rough outline, written primarily for myself and for the artists as a guide. Details are subject to change and may not reflect the final product (if it's ever made). It's not meant to be "well written" or polished, so don't expect something above a rough outline when you read this. Like Attis's backstory, I'm posting this mainly because it's looking unlikely that we'll have the time complete this project, due to its scope and the fact that our lives have gotten busier. Therefore, if the comic never gets made, at least some of the work Zeiram and I have done on this will be available. However, if the comic never gets made, I probably will write the whole story in novel form (like Polyphylon Girls), but that probably won't happen for a very long time, if at all.

http://mandrakemoorglade.deviantart.com/art/Devland-an-outline-to-the-rest-of-the-story-332994490?ga_submit=10%3A1350562430

Posted by potk on 03-22-2013 at22:44:

I think I'll just leave this here...

Wink

Posted by Mandrake on 03-23-2013 at06:20:

Ooh, I love it! A nice improvement.

Posted by omega on 03-23-2013 at14:16:

RE: Dervland (working title for a planned comic)

quote:
Originally posted by Mandrake

Is this just irony?

Posted by potk on 03-23-2013 at14:21:

RE: Dervland (working title for a planned comic)

...nah, I'd say it's more of a coincidence.

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH